• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870 arrived today.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
I just got it loaded and played with the fan settings. Stock settings this thing idled at 76C. Modding the profile for CCC allowed me to speed the fan up to a nice noisy level. Even at 35% its loud to me because the rest of my system is for the most part quiet. It would hit 85C while stressing and not go over that with stock fan speeds. I stuck it at 50% while overclocking and it didnt get over 60C. I have only played with 3dmark06 mostly for stressing and stability testing. I was able to max out CCC overdrive with no problems. I played some COD4 but didn't grab any exact benches before yanking out the 8800GTS I had but I am noticing higher frame rates then I was getting. Even tho the two cards have similar 3dmark scores there is a good size performance difference between them in real games. With a slight OC my SM3.0 score on 3dmark was higher then my coworkers GTX280. So far I am happy considering the price I paid. I plan on doing some aftermarket cooling hopefully soon.

3dmark06

Nvidia 8800GTS:
800/1100 - 14,065 (SM2.0 - 6758) (SM3.0 - 6438) (CPU - 3067)

ATI 4870:

750/900 - 13,648
790/1000 - 14,073
790/1100 - 14,191 (SM2.0 - 6019) (SM3.0 - 7354) (CPU - 3059)
 
I got 2 Sapphire 4870s today as well.
Flawless.
Crossfire set up with out a hitch.
They are hot though!!!! These run hotter than my 8800 GTXs did.
I need a Rivatuner for these beasts!!!
 
I got 2 Sapphire 4870s today as well.
Flawless.
Crossfire set up with out a hitch.
They are hot though!!!! These run hotter than my 8800 GTXs did.
I need a Rivatuner for these beasts!!!

I also received my Diamond 4870, yea these things run hot, mines idles at 79C, but Im not worried about that, powerful electronics run hot.
 
for some reason the ATI cards get lower sm 2.0 scores but higher sm 3.0 scores, that makes no sense to me?? but just be careful overclocking the 4870 and stressing it and flashing the bios because a lot of them are dropping like flies from bios flashes and overclocking even when they are water cooled.
 
Most of the deaths from what im reading are from Bios flashes which I will not do. They also find out why this was happening. I will OC with Rivatuner or ATi tool and probably wont push the clock over 800/11000 after I get a good cooler. Someone should start a post about deaths and be honest about what caused the deaths. Id be surprised we would start losing cards to just overclocking alone. This wont look good for ATI... ive never damaged any of my Nvidia cards ive owned and ive overclocked all of them all the way back to my TNT cards.
 
The vast majority were to BIOS flashes. Most of them have since revived their cards with BIOS flashes so it was nothing related to heat as components worked just fine.
 
Back
Top