4870 Aftermarket HSF question

Domingow

2[H]4U
I recently purchased a 4870 and would appreciate some advice on what aftermarket HSF combo to upgrade this card with.
I narrowed my search to either
ZALMAN VF1000,
Or
Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo

From my limited forum trolling I discovered that this card has unusually hot VRM chips. As a result of this several folks are opting to keep the red back plate covering the chips and then installing the aftermarket HSF on top of this. Is this the best solution? Or is there a better alternative?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you have a card with digital power circuitry then yes the vregs get hot. I kept the red plate on mine and use a maze4 waterblock with no problems. Not sure what aftermarket hsf would fit and still allow the use of the stock cooling plate though. If you go with individual sinks on the vregs make sure they get some airflow and don't go wimpy on the sinks.

cool, thanks for the link!
Ill probably do that one once I find a good fan to pair it up with.

Thanks,
Does this fan fit on the card PWM fan connector? or will i have to run it via a fan bay bus.

I believe it does, But I cannot be sure as my 4870 will not arrive until tomorrow, can anyone else confirm 3 pin connector on 4870 cards?

wow, the [H] has a great review on this HR-03 GT

I'm convinced, I'll grab it, and slap a 12cm on it and tie it into my baybus. It will be easier to spin up and spin down the fans based on what my rig is doing. I have this solution for my CPU so this will be (in my mind) a 2for solution.

Thanks!

twin turbo user here

Ive just done some testing and I do have to keep stock clocks but thats >20K 3dmark6 so not really an issue for me

but they are very quiet, the noise on 100% while gaming is like a wet fluffing sound rather than the standard fan higher pitch whine; I leave them @ 40% when not gaming and they no longer heat the room up like an oven

only ~$40, so gets my vote, and by leaving the stock red backplate on you can quickly reinstall the original cooler in case of RMA

(not tried anything else other than stock coolers though)

Back