• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870 512MB upgrade?

Christobevii3

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
294
I am looking to upgrade my videocard. I'll be using it at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. I have an Athlon II 620 @ 3.4GHz and 8GB of ram. Which card should I be looking at? The 6870 looks ok but not a huge upgrade, seems about 60% faster. Would that be the one to get or should I wait and see if the 6950 is going to be enough?

I dont want to spend more than $300 and usually after 2 years it seems an upgrade would double my speed.
 
I am looking to upgrade my videocard. I'll be using it at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. I have an Athlon II 620 @ 3.4GHz and 8GB of ram. Which card should I be looking at? The 6870 looks ok but not a huge upgrade, seems about 60% faster. Would that be the one to get or should I wait and see if the 6950 is going to be enough?

I dont want to spend more than $300 and usually after 2 years it seems an upgrade would double my speed.

Your CPU may bottlekneck a high end card of the 69xx series. I'd suggest you pick up a 6870.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2836/8
 
That is showing at 1680x1050 and I'm at 3.4GHz but that is a gtx280 so I dunno. I'll probably upgrade my mobo at the end of summer with ram and cpu.
 
Your CPU is just fine, really. A 6870 is a good upgrade. It won't double your current performance, but since you're playing at 19x12 the extra 512mb of ram will certainly let you enable higher IQ settings and even more AA.

If you really want 2X across the board then I suggest waiting another month to see how 6970 turns out. I'm betting it will beat the GTX480. I mean... they have too :)
 
Back
Top