4870/4870X2 Physics in games

LanPirate1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Messages
362
I see that NV has released a "power pack" including new maps with enhanced physics for 8800 series and up cards. Would I be right to assume that users of these new AMD cards cannot enjoy the new maps and physics. When I go over specs of the 4870/4870X2, one of the lines says "Game Physics processing capability". what does that mean? I would like to buy an AMD card this time around, but I really want to know if I/we AMD users will be missing out.
 
The ATi cards are definitely not supported for "PhysX" processing, though somebody managed to get it working on a 3870 a while back. I went through all the stuff in that power pack on my GTX 280 system and it all seems pretty gimmicky to me. Currently zero of the games I play have PhysX enhancements. If all other factors point to ATi for you, I wouldn't let PhysX get in the way of it.
 
I see that NV has released a "power pack" including new maps with enhanced physics for 8800 series and up cards. Would I be right to assume that users of these new AMD cards cannot enjoy the new maps and physics. When I go over specs of the 4870/4870X2, one of the lines says "Game Physics processing capability". what does that mean? I would like to buy an AMD card this time around, but I really want to know if I/we AMD users will be missing out.

im pretty sure you can still use the maps (might be a bit laggy due to the physx heavy elements, obviously optimized for nvidias new driver)

there is a guy who is working on porting the physx driver updates to run on ATI hardware:
http://www.ngohq.com/news/14254-physx-gpu-acceleration-radeon-update.html
 
Back
Top