4850x2 vs 5850

Do you know how important is smooth gameplay and stable framerate? sorry but your forcing 4850x2
as a better solution then 5850 makes me think you know nothing about actuall gameplay/enjoying in games and just saying OMFGWTFZOR! look at those (usless maximum/average fps) the most important part of every decent GPU is minimum fps! E.G I'm playing Crysis on 5870 (disabled 1 of the cards just to compare to GTX295) the frames are alot stable so with 5870 even they are lower! you get around 25/33 minimum/average fps and with the GTX295 like 19/40 so tell me what card is better ?

The gameplay is on a completley different level on the 5870, so long story in short. You play with 40 fps but it looks like 20(GTX295) and i won't even talk about the actuall 19 fps part! on (5780) you get 33 but it looks like 40 (smooth as butter) Sorry but i guess you didn't have enough cards to understand what is the true meaning of gameplay or you can't notice microstutter or any slowdowns imho. The 5850 is at least 2 times better solution then 4850x2.

In other words, you've got nothing. Thanks for playing.

I'm pretty sure that benchmarks are the standard way to go when comparing two different GPUs. Besides, using your statement, I can say that a 9800 Pro has a superior gaming performance to a GTX295. :rolleyes:

Let's try to stay within the realm of objective information here.

Last edited:
In other words, you've got nothing. Thanks for playing.

On the contrary. I've got most of the rest of the people in this thread agreeing with me. I've got people who have actually owned both setups saying the same thing I am, and I've got your own linked benchmarks showing minimum frame rates of the 5850 to be the same at their worse and significantly better at their best than a 4850 X2...

No sir, I'm afraid it is you that has nothing, even though you're trying very hard to convince everyone that average FPS in benchmarks is more important than actual game play and more important than minimum fps. I think it's pretty obvious by how this thread is going, that your argument fails.

Last edited:
Do you know how important is smooth gameplay and stable framerate?

Of course I do. I simply think you're overdramatizing the effects of microstuttering. Further, you seem to be saying that it's impossible to satisfactorily play games on a multi-GPU setup, which is simply ridiculous. Microstuttering can be defeated simply by getting your FPS above your display's refresh rate, which is usually 60Hz. It's already been demonstrated that the 4850 X2 is more than capable of outputting in excess of 60 FPS in modern games. Alternatively, triple buffering and/or Vsync also seem to dispel, or at least minimize, microstutter.

Therefore, your complaints are meaningless, and the issue again comes back to whether or not the 5850 consistently outperforms the 4850 X2, which is the question the OP asks. And the answer is no, as has been demonstrated. In terms of performance, the 5850 is a sidegrade at best to the 4850 X2.

Therefore, your complaints are meaningless, and the issue again comes back to whether or not the 5850 consistently outperforms the 4850 X2, which is the question the OP asks. And the answer is no, as has been demonstrated. In terms of performance, the 5850 is a sidegrade at best to the 4850 X2.

Obviously, it has only been demonstrated to your own satisfaction.

Ok lets imagine, " i'm wrong" how come not a single user [H]ere agree with you? try to think about it.... I'm over and out.

Do not buy anything unless:

-It has a must have feature
-You are not happy with what you are seeing now.(not I wish it was better, but purely unhappy)
-You feel you got your $$ worth with your last card and you deserve to blow more.

If yes to all three, upgrade. It's your B-day!!

Anyone take into account that a 5850 can run just as fast as a 5870? Bump it up to 950 core/ 1200 mem, which most 5850 owners on these forums have done, and its just like a stock 5870. Is the 4850x2 faster than a 5870???

Its funny to even compare 4850x2 with the former best single cards! 4890&GTX285! i won't even mention 5xxx series the 4850x2 is bad/inferior card IMHO.

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't have even brought this thread back to life, but just in case anyone is curious...

RamonGTP and psyside are clueless, bring some actual game benches to the table like Terpfen.

So what if the two of you agree w/ each other, there are review sites that clearly don't,
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2464-8.html
and I've used both in the same setup, and there's no way I would recommend an upgrade from the 4850X2 to a 5850, based on cost vs. performance being so close. Features are a different story though...

no one around here takes tom's info seriously anymore. and as a former 4850x2 owner who runs his cards in a system powerful enough to adequately feed them; the 5850 provides a nice boost in performance in the most demanding games.

I probably shouldn't have even brought this thread back to life, but just in case anyone is curious...

RamonGTP and psyside are clueless, bring some actual game benches to the table like Terpfen.

So what if the two of you agree w/ each other, there are review sites that clearly don't,
and I've used both in the same setup, and there's no way I would recommend an upgrade from the 4850X2 to a 5850, based on cost vs. performance being so close. Features are a different story though...

I used the same benchmarks terp linked, which showed better minimum frames on the 5850, on completely immature drivers I might add. If you think max frames are more important than minimum, its you that's cluless.

Read more carefully and do a little simple math, there is more than two people that share my opinion and with the inclusion of you there are only two people that share yours. Yourself and terp.

Last edited:

This thread is getting useless i won't waste my time explaining why the 5850 is better card, not anymore. Now go buy an 4850x2 and stop waste our times.

no one around here takes tom's info seriously anymore. and as a former 4850x2 owner who runs his cards in a system powerful enough to adequately feed them; the 5850 provides a nice boost in performance in the most demanding games.
/thread
Logic would dictate this anyway, but here you have someone with experience with both products recommending the 5850.

Anyone take into account that a 5850 can run just as fast as a 5870? Bump it up to 950 core/ 1200 mem, which most 5850 owners on these forums have done, and its just like a stock 5870. Is the 4850x2 faster than a 5870???

My system right now is at 950/1350. I think I could get to 1100 ghz if I had it up to 1.2v, but I'd rather keep the voltage low.

ps3system.jpg

I was thinking about upgrading to a 5850 from my 4850x2. Would it be worth it? I know its probly less of a power hog and all and less heat in my system. What other advantages/disadvantages would I have from it?

It's a sidegrade. They're equivalent. The only reason to upgrade is if you want Eyefinity or the lower power profile at idle that the new ATI gives.

If you *do* upgrade, I wil buy your 4850x2 ;)

Here's my take on the 4850x2:

I've had mine since last March and I it overclocked to 700/1200. Even with a full-size waterblock keeping temps in the upper 30sC under full load, I still run into artifacts. The issue is not everything is watercooled. The area by the 6pin connectors only has a passive block and that gets quite hot. So, if I can get rid of a hot card for a cool one and not have to watercool it AND still overclock it 10 to 15%, I'll take it.

There's another reason why I don't like the 4850x2 - drivers suck. ATI must have the worst drivers since the card has been out almost a year. After 3 days of trying every version out, I found the 9.8s the best, but still nowhere as good as nVidia's drivers. I must have 20 or 25 games on my machine, and 75% of them have issues with ATI's drivers. Usually if I'm playing an online game, I'll go through the hassle of uninstalling the drivers, reboot into safe mode, run driversweeper, reboot, and install nVidia drivers for my 9600GT so I can guarantee I won't run into issues (since I usually take part in group quests).

If going to a single gpu with the same performance as the 4850x2, without having to watercool, and hopefully better driver support, then I'll go with it. Either that, or go with a GTX275 and know I won't have driver issues. The other thing going for the 5850 is DX11 support, which may or may not be a big deal. How many DX10 games are on the shelves now? 3 or 4? I've bought 5 game recently and none are DX10, so either developers are ignoring DX10 for DX11 or DX9 is still the big cheese.

My system right now is at 950/1350. I think I could get to 1100 ghz if I had it up to 1.2v, but I'd rather keep the voltage low.

ps3system.jpg

Damn PS3... Another pic of your rig! Lolz :D Talk about Rig Pride!

If you can hit 1100 GHz on 1.2V then you da shit! Well, actually Dashit is Dashit... But you know what I mean... hahahaha.... :D

1.1Ghz is probably what you're talkin' about....

Damn PS3... Another pic of your rig! Lolz :D Talk about Rig Pride!

If you can hit 1100 GHz on 1.2V then you da shit! Well, actually Dashit is Dashit... But you know what I mean... hahahaha.... :D

1.1Ghz is probably what you're talkin' about....

Yah, every time I see that picture my eyes get watery. 5850 has been sold, so that's not even my system any more. :(

As for the 4850x2...just not a practical card...I'd take the 5850 over it any day. However, the 4850x2 2GB version any way should beat a 5850 hands down. I found the 5850 a bit faster than the 4890...but not overwhelmingly faster. And the 4850x2 was usually up to par with a 4870x2 from most reviews I've seen.

I've had 4850s in CF, but they were the 512mb versions. This 5850 definitely performs better, especially at 1920x1200 with eye candy on. But than again you have double the memory.

I just want to say this. I just love how we have to spend all this money every year or 2 just to play a few games. Hell i do it too but i wonder why sometimes:confused:

Ive been more interested in my iphone 3gs playin games that cost me $1 for cryin out loud. Sorry, had to rant :D

Back