4850x2 - switches to basic theme

ripken204

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a 4850x2, windows 7, and 3 monitors.

whenever i play a video in vlc on my 3rd monitor, windows 7 switches to the basic windows theme.

this does not happen on the two other monitors which are hooked up to the primary card of the 4850x2.

does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?

Do you have Crossfire enabled?

I know that with my 4850 crossfire setup, 2 monitors it he maximum you can use with Crossfire, and if you want to run a 3rd or 4th monitor that involves disabling crossfire. Maybe that is causing some sort of hiccup with Aero.

as you said, for a 3rd monitor you need crossfire off, which i do.
i am fairly certain that there is a hiccup and i am trying to find out why or if there is a solution.
i would hate to just call this another ati driver issue and leave it at that as this is quite an annoying problem.

Do you have Crossfire enabled?

I know that with my 4850 crossfire setup, 2 monitors it he maximum you can use with Crossfire, and if you want to run a 3rd or 4th monitor that involves disabling crossfire. Maybe that is causing some sort of hiccup with Aero.

I have Crossfire enabled and I am using a single monitor.

well running a game is a bit different, i am just watching a movie.
and this issue only happens on my 3rd monitor.

Well for me I couldn't get more than 1 display to work unless I enabled this setting. I would be glad to explore this further but I just got rid of my 4850X2. I'm not trying to be a ball buster, I'm just sharing my experience.

I had this last night switched a dvd playing in VLC to a secondary screen on a different gfx (Toxic 3870) from the primary (HD4870) and DWM was cycling wierdly. It would start with little ram Keep increasing its usage until about 1GB whereupon it would warn me about memory usage and shunt it to the Basic theme, then the memory usage would start again really low. But transferring the Video back to the primary monitor stopped the error. This is on Win 7 Ult RTM.

i didnt even check the ram usage but yes mine is fluctuating like crazy as well.
we both have the same exact problem.

Had a go just now, with a video in VLC windowed but fullsize window memory usage peaked about 600mb on the second monitor. Fullscreen VLC same video peaked over 1GB. Both were cycling again as described before. With the same video on the primary monitor memory usage stayed rock steady at 71,412KB without the cycling in Fullscreen and windowed but fullsize used 200KB more again without the cycling.

Only solution I can think of right now is to only watch videos on the primary monitor or monitors (if its a fault of having 2 separate GFX cards)

Edit: I should really check with a different player as well. Hmmm maybe later.

i tried WMP and it seemed fine.
it just sucks b/c i like watching something while i am working on my main display.

Back