• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4850x2 dead; Need new card

pr1m3

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
134
I've stayed on top of the current card but I guess my question is comparing the new cards to some of the older ones. In my main rig, my ATI 4850x2 died. So now I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not a ATI or Nvidia fanboy, but a GTX285 at the price point it is, is so not worth it for me.

I game on a 22" screen, 1680x1050. I don't plan on upgrading to a bigger screen for a very long time, so the power for a higher rez is not needed. You can see the rest of my computers specs in my sig. Do you think a 5770 would satisfy my need just fine or would forking over the extra 150 for 5850 worth it? No, I won't consider a 5870 either, not in my price range. With a 5770 I would always Xfire down the road but would seem almost pointless. Any suggestions? I don't have to have everything turned up while gaming (its just nice when you can xD) but not needed. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Torchlight, MW2, etc is what I play.
 
5770 vs a 4850x2? I'd shoot for a 5850. If price is a big factor, go with a 4890.
 
That's what I was afraid of, that the 5770 might slightly feel like a "downgrade". I'll just spend the money and get a 5850. XFX is 285$$ free shipping on Amazon right now. I was going to get a 5770 and another hard drive, but I guess its all GPU for now xP. If the 4890 was under the 180$ mark I'd consider it... I just for some reason couldn't bring myself paying 200$ for that card still.
 
go for a 5850. a 4890 is not an upgrade from a 4850x2. and the prices are higher for a 4890 now, than when i bought mine last spring/summer ($159 after rebate). i "upgraded" from a 4850x2 (loved that card) to a 4890, then to 4890 crossfire, then back to 1 4890. when i first got my 5850's i ran just one for a little while, and it was a very nice bump over the 4890.
 
I see a Visiontek at $280 on Dell

Update:

I found the coupon (1SC0KPSK$BN10J). Thanks! Just ordered. $271 with shipping and taxes.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top