4850CF with crysis warhead...

Astrodave

[H]ard|Gawd
Anybody else getting huge 2-5 second pauses in warhead with their 48x0 card(s) when they look around? Crysis runs fine for me on my system but Crysis Warhead is chock full of 2,3,4,5 second pauses when running around. It's almost unplayable. When it's not pausing on me it runs somewhat better than Crysis does, but these pauses are ridonkulous. I've got 4gb of memory and a RAID5 setup on my x48 motherboard with e8400. I'm at 1920x1200 no AA with settings on the high/very high equivalent settings. Anyone else getting this? Looks like crytek has released another hog so far from what I'm seeing here because it runs much worse than crysis overall even though the frame rate is better.

no it should run alot better than what youre getting.

what drivers are you using? try upgrading to 8.9's yet? maybe downgrade to the 8.7's if you have upgraded to the 8.9's.

Well, when I first got my 4850 with Crysis I was getting the same thing. Looking around, sighting my gun, firing, basically anything but sitting still or moving through a quiet previously visited area would start the hitching. Once I upgraded to the 8.9 betas this problem was improved tremendously. I still get hitching, but I believe it is due to only 2 gigs of ram, as the longer I play the more memory it uses; and once it reaches ~1500+ it seems to get worse.

So, seems like a driver issue to me. Your card getting too hot could also cause this. Defrag, upgrade the drivers, keep an eye on your temps, stop buying crap products from Crytek :p

its definitely drivers... my 2900XT did this. gameplay was HORRIBLE, i mean like, if I could count frames, i was getting maybe 4 per second.

upgraded my drivers to 8.7, BAM! ran amazingly, even with 2 Gigs of RAM :D

now I ahve 4 gigs and an 8800GTX, so it runs beautifully on high settings at 1280 x 1024. :)

I'm on 8.7 now as every other game runs great including crysis and the feedback on the 8.8's and 8.9's is less than stellar. Maybe i will try to upgrade them over the weekend although I can't believe that it's a driver problem if every other game runs great. Both cards are in use I can see as the temps on both cards are in the 80's under load with 35% fan and in the mid 70's with 50% fan. Game also just doesn't look as realistic as crysis which is no doubt where they picked up the increase in frame rate.

im getting alot of stuttering also with 4870 and 2 gigs of ram. are you on a 64bit system? som eparts are fucking unplayed ass hell like part of the train ride

No, I'm vista 32. Unacceptable pauses as it is now. Will install 8.9 this weekend and pray it doesn't fubar anything else since my system runs flawlessly in every other game.

i believe someone else was having this problem and it turned out to be a bad vista install.

maybe try XP on your rig? or reinstall vista 64 (much faster and more stable)

I had pauses like that, turning out motion blur seemed to reduce it alot. all it is, is a fps sink.

<snip>I can't believe that it's a driver problem if every other game runs great.<snip>

Not sure what planet you're living on, but anytime a new game comes out the drivers need to be tweaked, particularly with a CF or SLI platform. It is unreasonable to expect 2-3 month old drivers to be optimized for a game that just came out this week.

DO NOT play the 64-bit executable of Crysis. its known to have problems.

Just FYI, Crysis Warhead does not have a 64-bit executable or a /bin64 folder.

HB

Installed new drivers and it didnt go well. uninstalled old ones and got no video, rebooted and went into safe mode to run driver cleaner. rebooted and installed new drivers and nothing worked. exclamation points in device manager. rebooted and got no video. went into safe mode and did system restore. screw those drivers. ati shit is worse than nvidias. unacceptable driver issues here.

im getting alot of stuttering also with 4870 and 2 gigs of ram. are you on a 64bit system? som eparts are fucking unplayed ass hell like part of the train ride

I also get quite some stuttering with my 4870, 2gigs of ram in xp 32bit. Funny thing is, the actual FRAMERATES are pretty good at 1680x1050 noAA All Enthusiast settings, but the random slowdowns are a pain in the ass.

I think that (for 2GB systems) the game needs more RAM than that because I could hear my raptor being accessed like nuts...

Funny you should say that, my hard drives go apeshit with this game and I think it is the reason for the slowdowns. I have 4 gb of memory though. Needless to say after the assraping I took today trying to uninstall and upgrade drivers I am in no hurry to do it again. I think the problems I got stem from the fact that I got a black screen during uninstall and had to reset after 5 minutes of waiting. After that it was all downhill.

does anyone know if the new nvidia cards with their higher memory and bus stops or reduces the stuttering

I'm not sure whether the latest ATI hotfix will help as I'm not running an ATI card so cant see the driver version (says not authorised)
http://ati.supportcenteronline.com/...sp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=35298

Maybe the stuttering is why ATI brought out the tool to stop background services while gaming.
Its reported to possibly disable your AV and other security software so its best to use it when you are not connected to the internet.
Its the bottom link on this page
http://www.amd.com/us/fusion/Pages/index.aspx

I have 4GB. Pauses a lot. Can we hear from someone with 8GB and no pagefile? Fusion is a joke. Disconnecting from the internet is a pain for people with broadband, aka everyone. And there's no Vista64 support. When are ATi going to get a clue.

I have 4GB. Pauses a lot. Can we hear from someone with 8GB and no pagefile?

If you want to see if its paging a lot during the game, use Windows performance monitor.
To start it go to Start / Run and type perfmon

Well by the grace of God I did manage to get the new drivers installed. Screen blanked out during install but managed to reboot by hitting enter and when it rebooted all was fine and it picked up both cards and enabled crossfire. The game is maybe a bit better but still terrible stutters, sometimes upwards of 10 seconds while it thrashes. Crysis runs great on this box so I can't see why warhead is such a joke with these pauses. Jesus don't they test this shit before they release it? The frame rate is great and is better than crysis but these 3-10 second pauses make the game unplayable. I am going to ask for my money back from Steam because this game is a piece.

I too was getting horrible hitching/stuttering on my 4850 until I switched to DX9 mode. Add "-dx9" to the end of the target line in the desktop icon properties and see if that helps any.

Well so much for the driver upgrade. I get BSOD's and driver stops when I enable my 2nd monitor now. I'm pretty sure that these drivers weren't tested by ATI. I'm going to play around a bit more and see if I can work out the issues but if not then I am going back to 8.7 via a system restore tomorrow. Man I thought nvidia was bad...

uninstall the game.

restart your computer.

defrag your hard drive.

TURN OFF WINDOWS INDEXING!

Reinstall game.

Try that, in taht order.

Back