• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4850 xfire clocks don't match?

F.E.A.R.

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,457
Hello all,

I have an HD4850 crossfire set-up. I use an Asus card as primary and a Visiontek for secondary. Check out the screenshot below:


For the primary GPU the clocks on overdrive match the current values, but for the secondary they don't match. I bump the core a bit and hit apply, but the current values remain the same 500-750. The stock settings for both is 625-993. Why is my second card not posting correct values and not taking new ones? I have not verified with GPU-Z, but I'll do that tonight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
the clocks displayed in the 'current values' box are the base clocks of the gpu and memory out of fab, at least that's what i've always believed they were. if you click 'information center' under gpu, you'll find those base clocks again. the real clock is shown in the overdrive box. are you saying that when you hit the drop down menu to look at the second gpu, the 'current values' clocks and the 'overdrive' clocks are the same?
 
3D clocks vs 2D clocks.

Boot up riva tuner, turn on the Hardware monitor, and play a game. Your clocks will jump to those settings when your card enters 3D mode.
 
Yes for the primary card the current and overdrive values are the same.
 
wierdness. the only time i've ever seen a discrepancy like that is with the x2 cards, where one gpu reads the factory set clocks and the other at the base clocks. i remember distinctly that when i run two single gpu cards, catalyst will read the correct factory clocks for both cards in overdrive. i'll have to throw my 4890's back into the rig to verify and snap screen shots. try plugging your monitor into the other video card to see what catalyst reports.
 
here are screen shots of what catalyst reports are the clock speed of my 4850x2 and 4890 in cf.

7.jpg
 
Renny - it appears that you have one GPU doing the same thing as mine?.....interesting. Does Catalyst only allow one card to throttle between 2d-3d mode? I ran Rivatuner this morning (didn't run that long as I was late to work) and this is the result:




One of my GPU's kept dancing between 625 and 500 while on my desktop. In one second it would bounce twice. The 2nd GPU was steady. The funny thing is I fired up COD:World at War and I am still getting this constant hiccup. Something doesn't seem right or am I not reading this thing right. Please give me your thoughts cause I am a bit baffled. Thanks
 
i threw one of my 4870x2 cards in just for fun and found this:

8.jpg
9.jpg


these readings are even weirder than the ones from the 4850x2 and the 4890 cf. i don't know why the clocks are like this, but my game play experiences are pretty much in line with the numbers generated by [H] articles. i'm seeing definite improvements with cf turned on (can't understand why you need to have cf turned on for both gpus on the 4850x2 to work) so by that measure everything is working as it should.
 
ok: bench it, use 3DMark 06 (or vantage) if you want to:

set the overdrive to 650MHz. Run a benchmark. Set the overdrive to 500MHz. Run the same benchmark. Post your results. The same means you have a problem. A discrepancy means your OK.
 
Back
Top