4850 Woes, Red overtemp light after accelero reseat...

investinwaffles

Limp Gawd
Ok so my 4850s have been working fine in crossfire for a few weeks. My old 4850 (accelero'd its whole life) had some high temps so I decided to repeat, popped it on and the red overtemp light light up on boot and Ccc wouldn't recognize the card. I figured I just seated it incorrectly. Unfortunately I stripped the screws while trying to get it off.

Fast forward to today, I picked up a good precision screw driver set and got the bits out. I cleaned it out and re applied thermal paste and it still won't work :(
Removed it again, cleaned it as thoroughly as I could with ISO but no dice. My ASUS P5E Deluxe does a double boot when I have the dead card in as well.

Do you guys think the card is dead? I don't see how its possible but I cant get the card to NOT show the red overtemp LED. the card stays cold even after an extended time. What are the chances that MX-2 is in between the resistor things near the IHS and shorrting it out?

So do you think that the card is dead? I cleaned it and reseated it yet again but I know that it is making proper contact.

Is there any way to "reset" the card? Is the light just tripped or do you think I broke it somehow :(

So do you think that the card is dead? I cleaned it and reseated it yet again but I know that it is making proper contact.

Is there any way to "reset" the card? Is the light just tripped or do you think I broke it somehow :(

On a cold boot, there is no way the card overheats right away. The light is being tripped because of something else. There is some other issue than heat. It has nothing to do with reseating or TIM.

Stock cooler was unfortunately hacked to make a VRM sink. :(

I have tried reseating the card, swapping PCI ports and crossfire config but no dice :(

Just to be sure, is it the led labled D1601? as that is over temp protection and D1602 is the ext 12v fault led

Correct. When I first boot both LESs flicker on the card then the P5E goes soft off, and when it restarts only the d1601 led stays lit.

Im gonna call it dead :(
Looks like I have to start saving to buy yet another video card.

What would you guys get????

Buy another used 4850 - $60
Sell my 4850 and buy a 4890 - $80 (60 for my card - 140ish for a 4890 = $80)
Sell my 4850 and buy a 5770 1GB - $80 (see above)
Keep the single 4850 till the 6xxx cards come out, then re-evaluate

I have always lusted over the 4890 since I picked up my 4850 a few years ago but people are saying it does not feel faster than a 5770. Is that true? I feel like a 4890 is like a big v8 and a 5770 is like a boosted 4-cyl (both are fast in their own regard).
I am very drawn in by the lower power consumption of the 5xxx series, as well as DX11. The only DX11 games im interested in, though, are Dirt2 and F1 2010. Will the 4890 be better than the 5770 in these games? DX11 is no good if the 5770 doesnt have the muscle to run it...

I plan to keep my Q6600 (3.4ghz) until the summer of 2012 (graduation year for me), but would be able to pick up a second card when the funds were available. I would prefer to go with a single GPU solution for ease of use (no dealing with xfire). I only have a 750tx PSU though, is that enough for 2x 4890's????

GAH I have no idea what to do!!!

Back