4850 + warhead = wtf?

adrift02

Limp Gawd
So, just like the original Crysis, I am getting massive stuttering issues in DX10. Crysis eventually seemed to get fixed, either because of me updating drivers or using a custom cfg (which I suppose could have fixed some default cmd which was to blame). However, in Warhead it's back and in full force. For starters, this happens in gamer or enthusiast, I am using the newest official 8.9 drivers (tried betas also), and even after reformatting + trying warhead before loading all my other crap. Also, surprise surprise, dx9 (enthusiast settings or otherwise) completely clears up all stuttering.

This must either be a driver or game setting issue (not related to IQ for reasons stated above) and not my rig, as Crysis had the same problem at first yet was fixed...

Has anyone experienced this and got it fixed, or know what is causing the problem? I KNOW the game shouldn't be accessing my HDD and stuttering the way it does all the time. The memory usage isn't even close to 2gigs and happens even when running in circles around the same area (cache should be built up).

Have you tried using that custom config with warhead? Should use the same commands so I suggest trying that out. Do you own any other dx10 games that have this problem?

Never had this problem with any other game, dx10 or not. In fact, I haven't played a game yet that wasn't silky smooth. I doubt the config would be compatible but I guess I will give it a shot, at the very least I guess I will go through it and see if I can find anything that could help...

Same for me. I get 5 second pauses every 10 seconds. The game is unplayable. Steam also will not respond to my support emails. I'm just going to wait for them to patch this pos.

I haven't played Warhead yet but in original Crysis my 4870X2 does this in DX10 on the last part of the game on the carrier deck. It pauses for longer and longer periods until it freezes up permanently. Everything before this part of the game is fine and running in DX9 solves the problem.
I do want to play Warhead eventually and I'm disappointed to hear that this is an issue for that game in its entirety :(

Truth of the matter.... DX10 isn't worth the trouble. It bogs your framerates down for only a slight, barely noticeable improvement in most cases. Accept it, get over it, get a nice config. file or make one yourself...and enjoy the game. :)

Warhead is ten-times better than Crysis. I'd rather enjoy it, than worry about it running in DX10 Enthusiast and getting crap framerates and stuttering. You can run it in DX9 with a "cheap Enthusiast/Very High" config. file and get great framerates and no stutter.

I wonder if any of the people who spends thousands of dollars on their mega-rigs actually enjoy playing the games they like or do they troubleshoot and complain most of the time?

And those of you who bought an X2, expecting to kick Crysis and Warhead's ass should have known better...

When I buy a product (don't know if its the card or the game here) I expect it to work as advertised. My guess here is unoptimized drivers (haven't heard of any nvidia users having this problem). I could understand poor framerates, even the white snow glitch, but having dx10 completely broken (yes, its unplayable) in a AAA title seems unacceptable to me. After all, this problem was present and then fixed in Crysis, why is it back?

BTW, I am enjoying the game just fine dx9 - enthusiast; still doesn't make this any less ridiculous.

When I buy a product (don't know if its the card or the game here) I expect it to work as advertised. My guess here is unoptimized drivers (haven't heard of any nvidia users having this problem). I could understand poor framerates, even the white snow glitch, but having dx10 completely broken (yes, its unplayable) in a AAA title seems unacceptable to me. After all, this problem was present and then fixed in Crysis, why is it back?

BTW, I am enjoying the game just fine dx9 - enthusiast; still doesn't make this any less ridiculous.

DX10 isn't broken. It sucks. Period. End of story. It was a load of baloney that Microsoft pushed on gamers, developers and the like to get people to buy Vista.

Seriously, every single new windows or DX people are like OMG it doens't look much better and it's slower. It SUCKS. It's going to take another year or so until DX10 really shows itself as devs learn to use it better.

Good thing about Warhead is that it doesn't need DX10 to play at maximum video card levels. It will work fine with XP +DX9.

Hm, anyone else with a 4850 + warhead having this issue on dx10?

Dx9 enthusiast is damn close IQ, but dx10 shadows are better.

Hm, anyone else with a 4850 + warhead having this issue on dx10?

Dx9 enthusiast is damn close IQ, but dx10 shadows are better.
Yeah, it's not very playable. I chose to play it in DX9 and use Gamer settings. It plays smoothly @1920x1200 with a only few dips in fps in some spots. I'm enjoying it much more over the first game.:)

dark reign u get ok framerates with crysis warhead at 1920x1200 with ur 4850? :)

Yep. DX9+Gamer settings and no AA. Fraps shows 25-28 fps average but there are dips here and there, down to around 19-21 fps. Motion Blur is set to medium and does make the game seem smoother. There's no noticeable stutter under DX9 but with DX10 there is.

Eh you should try DX9 if that's easier, it sounds like you've got issues with your install of the game. Plenty of people (like me) run it just fine in DX10 :), GL.

Running fine here, or as fine as crysis gets.

People need ti remember that because it plays one way with you, does not mae it irrefutable fact that it plays that way with everyone.

In any other game peple would just turn res and settings down but for some reason peple demand it plays well on higest, wtf is that about.

Eh you should try DX9 if that's easier, it sounds like you've got issues with your install of the game. Plenty of people (like me) run it just fine in DX10 :), GL.
It's probably not as bad at lower resolutions. The DX10 path for Crysis and Warhead isn't optimized very well.

Seriously, every single new windows or DX people are like OMG it doens't look much better and it's slower. It SUCKS. It's going to take another year or so until DX10 really shows itself as devs learn to use it better.

dx10 has been fully released now for damn near 2 years. if they were going to do something with it then they would have done it by now. sorry but i dont buy your opinion.

It's interesting that 4850 users are playing stutter-free dx10. Makes me wonder what the issue is. I know its not my install as Crysis + warhead have both done it over multiple reformats. Hell, I even downloaded 64bit vista to try and still had the same problem. Considering all other DX10 games are fine for me, and there are 4850 users with no stutter, maybe it's another piece of my hardware that is causing the bug..

It's interesting that 4850 users are playing stutter-free dx10. Makes me wonder what the issue is. I know its not my install as Crysis + warhead have both done it over multiple reformats. Hell, I even downloaded 64bit vista to try and still had the same problem. Considering all other DX10 games are fine for me, and there are 4850 users with no stutter, maybe it's another piece of my hardware that is causing the bug..

Try with 4 GB system ram in Vista 64. I'm interested to see if it makes your stuttering go away.

I won't be buying more ram any time soon. Also, I am pretty sure it's not a ram issue as
1. dark_reign has 4 gigs + x64 and the same problem
2. dropping res/gfx detail doesn't clear it up
3. ram usage isn't even going over ~1400megs.

I won't be buying more ram any time soon. Also, I am pretty sure it's not a ram issue as
1. dark_reign has 4 gigs + x64 and the same problem
2. dropping res/gfx detail doesn't clear it up
3. ram usage isn't even going over ~1400megs.

Oh sorry...it looked like you only had 2-gigs from your sig. And RAM is dirt cheap...so I didn't think you'd mind picking up some more to see if that solved the problem.

I would buy more RAM myself, but then i'd have to buy Vista all over again which I refuse to do.

32-bit Vista OEM doesn't allow to upgrade to 64-bit for free. :(

I did read on a forum that a person upgraded their RAM from 2 to 4 gigs and their stuttering went away. The issue probably depends on the individual system, though.
What works for one dude might not work for another.

Here's the thread I read: http://www.megamers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=357868

Plus people aren't always entirely truthful on forums ( I know..it's hard to believe)...so it's difficult to know what's BS and what's not when your trying to troubleshoot an issue.

I would buy more RAM myself, but then i'd have to buy Vista all over again which I refuse to do.

32-bit Vista OEM doesn't allow to upgrade to 64-bit for free. :(

Not true... you could buy the extra 2GB (or 4GB) of RAM and install it anyway... sure you'll only have 3-3.25 visible, but that should improve matters a lot over a 2GB setup for Vista. ;)

Not true... you could buy the extra 2GB (or 4GB) of RAM and install it anyway... sure you'll only have 3-3.25 visible, but that should improve matters a lot over a 2GB setup for Vista.

That's true. I returned a 2GB kit and bought a 4GB kit and even though XP 32bit will only read 3.25, I can definitely fell the difference in instances like tabbing out of a game and loading.

A lot of people have reported getting better fps using DX9. I get something like 5-8 fps more over DX10, so it's not a system issue. 4GB can help but if the game has poor optimization it won't matter how much you have. Visually, the game doesn't offer a big enough change to bother with DX10, so use DX9 if you get stutter or low fps.

I posted this in another thread but it seems that ATI 4000 series cards or at least some of them seem to shit themselves in DX10 version of Crysis. btw you do NEED more than 2 gigs of sytem ram for Warhead or you will get hitching. that lack of memory hitching is not the issue here though. I threw in the one 8600gt benchmark I took before installing the 4670. as you can see the 8600gt beats the 4670 in DX10.

the HD4670 HATES DX10 at least in original Crysis

HD4670 1024x768 DX9 all medium.... 42.95 FPS
HD4670 1024x768 DX10 all medium... 31.50 FPS
8600GT 1024x768 DX10 all medium... 35.20 FPS

HD4670 1024x768 DX9 all high..... 32.73 FPS
HD4670 1024x768 DX10 all high... 25.75 FPS

yep it hates DX10 in Warhead too

HD4670 1024x768 DX9 all mainstream.... 41.27 FPS
HD4670 1024x768 DX10 all mainstream... 30.19 FPS

Not true... you could buy the extra 2GB (or 4GB) of RAM and install it anyway... sure you'll only have 3-3.25 visible, but that should improve matters a lot over a 2GB setup for Vista. ;)

I have 3 GB. With an 896 MB video card, that pretty much puts me right at the limit.

I can make my games able to address 3Gb with a large_address_aware tag on the .exe header, but sometimes it works...and sometimes it's not worth doing, either because of a performance hit or otherwise.

I was thinking perhaps, that 4 GB was the magic number to stifle memory leaks. If I thought 4 or 8 GB in Vista 64 was worth doing....well, i'd do it. :D ;)

I have 4gb on vista32 and warhead stutters HARD every 10 seconds or so for 5 seconds or more at any rez. The only thing that smooths it out is going gamer settings and below. Anything above that and forget it. I can run crysis at 1920x1200 with high/very high settings and 8xx AF and its well above 30fps the whole time. Every other game I play, and I have dozens of them, all run great on these 4850CF cards. Something is wrong with warhead. Maybe it doesnt like my creative xfi card or some other software issue but this game is broken somewhere. I am hoping that 8.10 drivers fix it when they are released but I had no luck uninstalling 8.7 and reinstalling with 8.9. ati's drivers are just too bad and unreliable right now with crossfire for me to fully put the blame on warhead even though I am pretty sure that's where the blame lies.

I have 4gb on vista32 and warhead stutters HARD every 10 seconds or so for 5 seconds or more at any rez. The only thing that smooths it out is going gamer settings and below. Anything above that and forget it. I can run crysis at 1920x1200 with high/very high settings and 8xx AF and its well above 30fps the whole time. Every other game I play, and I have dozens of them, all run great on these 4850CF cards. Something is wrong with warhead. Maybe it doesnt like my creative xfi card or some other software issue but this game is broken somewhere. I am hoping that 8.10 drivers fix it when they are released but I had no luck uninstalling 8.7 and reinstalling with 8.9. ati's drivers are just too bad and unreliable right now with crossfire for me to fully put the blame on warhead even though I am pretty sure that's where the blame lies.

You do know that only 2 GB of system RAM is reserved for applications in 32-bit Windows, astrodave, regardless of how much RAM you have installed.

Warhead will use up much of that RAM over time....it may be causing the stuttering. It may also be the "low" framebuffer of only 512 MB. I've noticed that the major stutter I experienced with an HD 4870 pretty much dried up with a GTX 260...more VRAM = no stutter? Not sure...i'd like to find out, though. :p

I was thinking perhaps that 4 or even 8 GB in Vista 64-bit OS might help the issue also.

I noticed that when I was running Crysis with 8800 GT SLI in Windows XP, I would get the same kind of stuttering issue after long periods playing the game. Much of my system RAM was being used by Crysis, also...the only way I was able to stop it, was either by restarting the game after a few hours or lowering just enough textures to keep the total VRAM usage under 512 MB at all times. While doing this, Crysis also used less system memory. I used Rivatuner to monitor it...and after playing for hours straight, I was getting no stutter.
Is it the lack of VRAM? or is it the lack of system RAM causing the stutter? or both?

The problem is, you can't monitor VRAM usage in Vista...but my guess is, the same thing is going on with Warhead.

May be, but them releasing it in that state is unacceptable if so. Crysis doesn't do this for me and imo it looks better than warhead. Warhead looks like crysis lite. The problem probably lies with the ati drivers and warhead being in the typical beta state of crytek's products upon release. I'm sure it will get sorted eventually.

Back