4850 max thermal envelope

It had better be 110C cause these cards already can run up to 103C under load; mine has.

I think it's 125C. At 104C, the fan will spin at 100% to prevent the chip from overheating. The highest temp I've seen is 96C running Furmark and Orthos at the same time. Normally when playing games it doesn't go above ~87C.

i've seen my 4850 @ 115C while running furmark and it's going really strong, with no hangs nor artifacts. i thought the chip would quit working or at least show some artifacts, but no, it's working fine with those high temperatures, though it's running fine under heavy load, i am kinda worried about the temp, and just want to find out the max temp it's designed to operate at. does anyone has reliable info on this?

How did you manage to get the GPU temp up to 115C? Did you disconnect the fan or run it very slow? The 4850 may not have a very good heatsink, but with the fan spinning at 8000RPM, it *does* keep the GPU nice and cool.. so I don't see how it's possible for the GPU to get hotter than 104C with the default fan curve.

As an aside... The fan does not spin at 8000 RPM. Its max is about 3000 RPM regardless of what GPU-Z says.

Long before you hit 115c the fan will run at max, so you must have a bad fan ?

I'm a bit worried about the temps too. I just installed a 4850 in my machine and that thing gets HOT. I can't even touch it for very long when it's at idle, much less load. I've got a TT duorb that I'll be slapping on it soon.

How did you manage to get the GPU temp up to 115C? Did you disconnect the fan or run it very slow? The 4850 may not have a very good heatsink, but with the fan spinning at 8000RPM, it *does* keep the GPU nice and cool.. so I don't see how it's possible for the GPU to get hotter than 104C with the default fan curve.

voltmod + oc. mine is running 750/1100 @ 1.3v.

Well I just installed my TT Duo Orb and it dropped my load temps by 25C!!! Now I'm happy. Will need to update my sig.

Back