4850 Impressions and AA Performance

ChronoReverse

[H]ard|Gawd
If this is the wrong place for it please delete this.

I got a HIS model for $199CAD (remember everything is more expensive in Canada). Came with the Black Box and Call of Juarez.

My system:
Q6600 @ 3GHz
8GB RAM
Vista64
Catalyst Hotfix

Overclocked on stock, card is idling at 79 Celsius... rather warm. However, under load it's only about 89 Celsius. Something tells me Powerplay isn't quite working. The fan does spin up though when it's under load so at least that works. It's not horribly loud but since I have a quiet system, the noise sticks out like a sore thumb.

Opened up the CCC and hit Auto-tune under Overdrive. Auto-tune gives me 690MHz core and 1153MHz memory. Not too bad considering how crappy the stock cooler is. I've put on a Coolink GFXChilla after this.

I'll be benchmarking WoC, Bioshock and HL2:Ep2.

With the GFXChilla (a cooler designed to be compact and quiet rather than powerful), the new idle temperature is 42 Celsius. Quite an improvement if I say so myself. Load temperature is about 62 Celsius. Again overclocked.

Looking at the stock HSF, I'd say the application and pressure is barely par. There was too much TIM applied but at least the pressure smoothed it out a bit (and pushed a lot of it to the edges). The ram has only sticky thermal pads.

Ambient temperature is in the neighborhood of 24-25 Celsius.

World of Conflict result using built-in bench. 1680x1050. Very High (which sets 4xAA/4xAF and DX10).
28 Avg
11 Min
50 Max

A playthrough of Bioshock in 1680x1050 DX10 Max settings are similar to Anandtech's results. The experience is buttery smooth and the FPS so high that I wish AA worked in DX10 mode.

I was skeptical about the 8xAA thing but from my own tests, it does appear to be applied.

Using my custom settings in WoC (because Very High isn't that smooth and I prefer smooth), the difference between 4xAA and 8xAA is about 2-3FPS... 49FPS versus 51FPS. Interestingly enough 2xAA is about 53FPS while NoAA is 55FPS.

Going from 4xAA to 8xAA costs less than 10%.

I've started to test the CFAA modes now too. Under the same settings, 12xAA (4xAA+ED) is about 40FPS. For 24xAA (8xAA+ED), it is 31FPS.

A peek at the AA in-game. Between 8xAA and 4xAA the difference is quite apparent. 8xAA vs 24xAA not so much (but still there if you zoom in).
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4756/4xaapreviewln0.png
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1299/8xaapreviewmb7.png
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3050/24xaapreviewbh2.png

I've added screenshots for HL2:Ep2 to SkyDrive. The penalty for AA is still unbelievably low.

Did some more tests at 4xAA with the various filters.
Box: 51
Narrow: 45
Wide: 45
Edge Detect: 40

Just to hammer this in, 8xAA is 49FPS.

It is cheaper to do 8xMSAA than to use CFAA

There are also TSAA results included. Taken at 4xAA/8xAF, 1680x1050
The penalty for turning that on is also really low. However, all the modes look identical for some reason. Can anyone tell which mode is really being applied?

http://cid-1b1908eb94064033.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public

Hi,
Does the Coolink GFXChilla get in the way of running crossfire?

thanks for any info

Hi,
Does the Coolink GFXChilla get in the way of running crossfire?

thanks for any info

Hmm, good question. The heatpipes don't get in the way of the connector closest to the edge but I don't know if you need to connect both for Crossfire. The heatsink assembly itself is compact so you'll be able to fit the cards themselves into the two PCI-E slots.

Hmm, aint the first time I've heard of HL2 fences exhibiting weird behavior...

Must be some bug in their driver version. If you look at my screenshots, there's one with a bit of fence in the corner and it looks perfectly fine (all the other fences I've seen during gameplay looks fine too).

The fan does spin up though when it's under load so at least that works. It's not horribly loud but since I have a quiet system, the noise sticks out like a sore thumb.
That's disappointing.

That eases one choice for me, the 4850 is going into the Antec Solo now. It does a good job of dampening sounds.

That's disappointing.

That eases one choice for me, the 4850 is going into the Antec Solo now. It does a good job of dampening sounds.

I'll have my new system with the 4850 installed within a couple hours, I'll give you my impression of the cooler noise in this thread. I need to run memtest once, then install XP.

I'm a bit more of a stickler as far as idle noise goes, although I'm not as picky about as little load noise. But I have wooden floors, so I have to be proactive about my components if I want anything resembling silence.

FYI, I'm using a Sonata III, and a 45nm Core2 with stock cooler. From the tests I did earlier this week (with an old pci video card), it was almost silent.

I'll have my new system with the 4850 installed within a couple hours, I'll give you my impression of the cooler noise in this thread. I need to run memtest once, then install XP.
I just finished building mine. :D

Abit AW9D-Max
Q6600 @ 3GHz
4GB DDR2-800
Asus HD4850
Antec Solo
TruePower Trio 430W
probably Vista Ultimate x64

I'm burning it in and I do hear the 4850 heatsink when the side is off. It reminds me of the smaller 2600XT heatsink (short card version) or the noisier 8600GT heatsink. It will be quiet enough when the case is closed.

Hmm, good question. The heatpipes don't get in the way of the connector closest to the edge but I don't know if you need to connect both for Crossfire.

IIRC one CF connector is good for up to 1680x1050, and higher resolutions need both.

My Sapphire 4850 is idling at 500/750/ I'm assuming this is too high, correct?

Any chance that ATI will be releasing an official BIOS fix for this, or am I stuck risking my card?

ATI will probably fix it. Supposedly next driver or future official BIOS releases

Wow, you're not kidding about the impressive 8xAA performance. I just ran Oblivion to start things off, and I was able to run at 1280x1024, completely smooth, with everything on high, 8xAA box, 16xAF.

It's really not a problem that the other AA modes have such heavy overhead, because 8xAA is more than enough for my tastes, and runs well almost all the time.

Wow, you're not kidding about the impressive 8xAA performance. I just ran Oblivion to start things off, and I was able to run at 1280x1024, completely smooth, with everything on high, 8xAA box, 16xAF.

It's really not a problem that the other AA modes have such heavy overhead, because 8xAA is more than enough for my tastes, and runs well almost all the time.

Oblivion also runs completely smooth at 1680 x 1050 with 8 x AA, 16 x AF and Qarl's texture pack. Looks amazing.

Stunning performance for the price. I've slapped an Accelero S1 Rev 2 and a 140mm Yate Loon fan on it, makes it now idle at 30c, load at 41c and be clocked at 700/1100.

The best part about this cooling is that I've not done any risky BIOS flashing, replacing a cooler is ok as long as you take care.

Back