4850: HDMI "via Adapter"????

yes. these cards have a dvi to hdmi adapter. using the adapter you can carry sound via the hdmi cable to your tv/monitor.

(if you had an nvida card and used an dvi to hdmi cable, you'd get video but no audio)

Note: you have to use the dvi to hdmi adapter it comes with then use hdmi cable. If you use just a dvi to hdmi cable you wont get the sound.

when i connect using hdmi input on my sonyxbr4 its not as sharp as the normal vga ..its really grainy looking but it carries video and sound in one cable... when u connect as hdmi it doesnt see it as a pc i guess that why it looks worst than the vga cable

when i connect using hdmi input on my sonyxbr4 its not as sharp as the normal vga ..its really grainy looking but it carries video and sound in one cable... when u connect as hdmi it doesnt see it as a pc i guess that why it looks worst than the vga cable

I had this same issue with the 4850 on my 24" monitor with HDMI input. The answer is the special ATI DVI-HDMI adapter, which seems to carry an audio signal at the expense of color range, thus making the picture more grainy. I switched to a standard DVI-HDMI cable, since I don't use the monitor's speakers, and it's crystal clear now. Word is that a standard, non-audio DVI-HDMI adapter will fix this as well, though I haven't tried this.

using a normal dvi to hdmi cable or using a hdmi to hdmi with dvi to hdmi adapter looks the same on my tv... the only thing u need to do is play around with ur sharpness setting and prolly change ur brightness and etc. to ur liking which should fix the grainy problem .... also to carry out the sound using the hdmi cable i needed to change it to ati hd audio output on audio playback on the control panel...everything looks great now just needs more adjusting on the sliders...

Back