4850 cooler

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
I have seen some threads about 4850 with heat issues.I dont know how well they are telling the truth since it was not here.Alot of it was when the card first came out and as I understand there was a problem with the fan speed.

I understand that ati will have the fan speed down to cut down noise.
What is the temp with the fan at stock idle and load
what is temp with the fan @100 idle and load?

I am about to get one and I know it is a single slot card hence not good cooling.Just wonder how it also compares to the 8800gt single slot with the fan speed 100%

I am gonna get 2 new fans and need some help here also.1 80mm for exhaust and one 120 for inlet.What fans should I get?I would like them to have a controller on them for speed so I can turn them down when not gaming and when gaming I can turn them up.

ALso can you use rivatuner to adjust the fan speed on the hd4850?I am getting a visiontek hd4850 if that matters

I have a stock 4850 in the single blue PCI-E slot on my P5Q Pro, with two 120mm fans: one intake and one exhaust. The exhaust fan is plugged directly into the PSU and has a manual toggle switch that I have set to "medium." The intake fan is plugged into the motherboard, I have the Q-Control set to standard (changes the RPM based on temps). I haven't done any tweaking at all with my catalyst profiles, everything is bone stock.

My 4850 idles between 48-50C and I rarely see it go over 70C (although I don't have a temperature logger, this is just from me checking right after exiting / alt tabbing out of games).

When I built my computer people here suggested scythe slipstream fans, which is the extra I got (the rear is an antec tri-cool that came with the case). It works fine, is pretty quiet, and when I stuck my hand in there when it was running it was moving the air pretty damned fast.

I've read in a couple threads that with the newest rivatuner you can adjust the fan on a 4850, but I haven't looked into it for myself.

I've read widely varying reports about people's temperatures, some are cool like mine and some are really hot. For the record, I have an ASUS card.

I have been worrying about the same thing. I decided to just find one that has an aftermarket cooler come stock with it. Right now im looking at the gigabyte version with the zalman cooler on it. Just looking at the reference cooler kinda makes me worry about the card. I was never much for those small fans.

First, there are no temperature problems or heat issues. Out of the box, the card is 100% reliable with the stock cooler, without any modifications to the fan speed or other changes.

Now if you're overclocking, you'll probably run into problems which is why there are cards with aftermarket coolers pre-installed. The job of the stock cooler is to keep the temperatures within spec at stock speeds and it does that well. That's all you can expect from a stock cooler really.

With the stock fan at default speed, my 4850 idles at 70C. I have three low-noise, low-RPM 80mm exhaust fans and no intake fans (no need since there are lots of vents in the front of the case).

Note that the temperature will instantly drop 10C - 20C when you alt+tab out of a game. There's no way to have the time to catch the full load temp by alt+tabbing out of a game. You either need to log the temps when gaming, or use something like Furmark, that displays the temp on-screen during the stress test.

Running Furmark, my 4850 has hit 96C, but this was before I optimized the airflow in my case. Now it seems I can't get it to above 87C. When gaming it's maybe 82c - 85C. The max safe temp for continious operation is 104C and the max it's allowed to go before taking permanent damage is 125C.

My case has some shitty airflow for sure.I am just gonna wait until the 24th of this month and start looking for a case that can support atx and matx mobo's.Hopefully I can find a CM RC690 case with free shipping that would be sweet.

I have really no room for fans in my case. I have a antec tri cool in the rear for exhaust and no inlet fan.
I can get a 80mm fan for inlet but it will have to mount onto the case side in which it will blow the fresh air onto the video card.So I would need to get 2 new 80mm fans with at least 60cfm.
My tri cool is like 34cfm and it doesn't push out hardly any air,I need more power

My visiontek 4850 had some serious heat issues. It idled at 80-82c. Room temp about ~78f, open case.
I didnt mess with the fan settings after reading numerous threads saying how it "was designed like that "engineers wouldn't release it if it was bad etc"....

Well coming from a x850 i was hoping to get 100fps minimum in cs:s(40 man server) with the 4850. Wrong! no improvement so i figure it was a driver issue. uninstalled cs:s, drivers tried everything. last resort was to reformat which was still no improvement in cs:s and crysis demo. I decided to use 3dmark06 to take a benchmark on a fresh install system with 8.9 drivers and got 7000! I figure something was totally wrong and decided to install riva tuner and crank the fan to 60% which reduced the temps from 80c to 50c! Ran 3dmarks again even without a reboot and got 11000! fired up cs:s and cysis demo definite improvement.
SO yes there is a heat issue! im not the only one that has 80c idle temps either..Not everyone runs their AC at 70f.....

My 8800gt got up to 95c once then I changed the fan speed.I was monitoring the temp while playing cod4.The fan was at the stock setting when it got up to 95c.The highest it got when overclocked and fan @100 was 80c I could deal with that.I just had the side of the case off when I was playing games and had a floor fan blasting air in the case on high.

I have heard of the high temps on the 4850.I have no need to OC the card since it is faster then a 8800gt.I should just have to turn the fan speed up to 100 when I am playing then turn it down when I'm not gaming.It shouldn't have a high idle temp and if it does I'll just leave the fan up and when I am done web browsing turn the pc off

Well, my case was <$40 (no PSU). Other than the side panels being a bit flimsy and a few other minor things, it works fine and keeps all components cool.

You can do take manual control of the fan if you want. I personally find it very annoying having to constantly go in and manually adjust the fan. You can also change the fan speed lookup table with Rivatuner/ATI Tray Tools or with the BIOS editor. This allows you to keep the fan in auto mode but have the fan ramp up faster as the temp increases.

The fan is temperature controlled, so in a case with poor airflow, the fan will spin faster to compensate for the higher ambient temp. There's a lookup table/transfer function with sensible values already plugged in, so it will never overheat as the fan is set to land at 100% if the GPU would ever start approaching the 104C mark. Normally it won't even come close to that mark as the cooler becomes more effective once the fan speed starts climing above 50%.

I am looking into getting some fans right now.I started a thread in the cooling section since I need some help.
I do have some options tho with my case.I can mount a 120mm in front pulling fresh air in,a 120mm on the hd cage pushing across the mobo towards the exhaust.
1 80mm fan exhaust under the psu, upper part of case and a 120mm fan under the 4850 blowing out of the lower back corner of the case thru the pci e slots which will have to come out for te fan to mount in there

I have heard of the high temps on the 4850.I have no need to OC the card since it is faster then a 8800gt.
you can still OC, the HD4850 can stay 100% operational even with high temp above 100c. you should still be able to do some mile OCing even with stock cooler. btw, i run my 4850 @ 750/1100 with stock cooler without problems.

I should just have to turn the fan speed up to 100 when I am playing then turn it down when I'm not gaming.It shouldn't have a high idle temp and if it does I'll just leave the fan up and when I am done web browsing turn the pc off
you probably dont want to turn the fan to 100, it's just very loud. i have set the fan speed on my HD4850 between 50% - 65% in auto mode. it can be easily adjusted using rivatuner or by modifying the BIOS. i went with the BIOS route and it's really simple to do. I've also set my idle clock to 160/500 so the temp stays low while i am in 2d mode.

I ran my 8800gt pny card at 100% while I was gaming then when I got done I turned it down,the noise didn't bother me but I dont know how loud the 4850 is compard to the pny 8800gt.

Gotta get some case fans now

I find the 4850 over 50% fanspeed obnoxiously loud. Also, the stock cooler is definitely aluminum painted to look like copper...don't be fooled. I replaced the stock coolers because the cards (even at 40%) were the noisiest things in my PC. Two Accelero S1s for $33, definitely the best money I have ever spent on VGA coolers. If you are on the stock cooler, I suggest using the Radeon BIOS Editor to make custom fan settings for your card that ramp up the RPMs more aggressive than the stock ones.

what about a gfx chilla for the video card cooler?
I was looking at one and thought it looked like a good idea?I have never changed out the stock cooling on a video card before.How hard is it and what do I need to do it?

i have 2 GFXChillas and it cools as good as my 4870's stock cooler at 65% fan. The Chilla's fan is quieter than stock cooler at default fan. Have a Musashi coming in a few days to try out

what about a gfx chilla for the video card cooler?
I was looking at one and thought it looked like a good idea?I have never changed out the stock cooling on a video card before.How hard is it and what do I need to do it?

Both the GFX Chilla and the Mushashi should be great candidates for the 4850 but I don't have personal experience. All you should need in order to change heatsinks is Phillips-head screw drivers ("standard PC size" as well as smaller ones), thermal interface of your choice for the GPU and non-conductive thermal interface for VRMs if necessary. It's good to have thermal epoxy or "fragtape" around in case you mess up when applying RAM or VRM heatsinks also.

Can you give me a link to thermal epoxy and frag tape?I have no idea what you are talking about.

Also if I use a gfx chilla cooler and I have a problem with the card and need to rma.Can you get those ram sinks off easily and can you tell a cooler was added to the card

no the ramsinks and such come off pretty easily and you can't tell you had a aftermarket cooler on your card when you put the stock heatsink back on (unless you break something off or really botch something of course). The Akasa Vortexx on the other hand, the thermal pads sort of rip off and part of it is left on the chip and its a real PITA to get that crap off. Because of this you would have to get more thermal pads from somewhere if you want to use the Vortexx again and you have to spend the time to get that junk off if you need to RMA(had 2 Vortexx before the GFXChilla).

Back