• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4850 Best brand?

Miranger

n00b
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
44
In newegg they have about 8 different brands listed for this card im new at this and im deciding to get either this card or the evga8800gts for this build.

Which of the brands can be trusted?
 
They're all the same design, so it doesn't really matter. Get whatever you're personally comfortable with.
 
i would say wait for the palit's non reference desgin . those r going to be the coolest running cards .
 
Yeah, not much of a difference. I kinda like the Visiontek one for no particular reason.
 
Dont they have lifetime now, as in warranty.

Yes, the Visiontek cards have lifetime warranties, at least according to a review I read somewhere. All the different brands use the same reference design, but the lifetime warranty would make Visiontek preferable to other brands that don't match the offer.
 
Well if the Visiontek is supposed to have Lifetime warranty it'll win by default. My question is well ived always bought Nvidia cards Evga to be specific so i don't know anything about this brand. Is it good?
 
In that case, Visiontek and Powercolor are now the brands to go for(unless there are any others with lifetime warranties).
 
Somehow I doubt that iClear card actually has much of a real-world effect. Just because they sell it for $80 doesn't mean it'll actually give you $80 worth of benefit. I'd personally rather have a superior warranty, but to each his own I guess.
 
I ordered two visionteks last night due to the life time warranty. Back when I had my x1900 I had gone the powercolor route as they also offer the lifetime warranty but I didn't like the ugly sticker this time around from Powercolor. :p
 
i would say wait for the palit's non reference desgin . those r going to be the coolest running cards .

Why? Just wondering.

Also, how much performance increase is there from a 1900XTX 512MB to a 4850?
 
Why? Just wondering.

Also, how much performance increase is there from a 1900XTX 512MB to a 4850?
I guess almost double if not more... I have a dead X1900XT... And i am upgrading from that... Just waiting for 4870 benches to hit the net... After that i will make my informed choice between the two... I guess by then we will have a few non reference design coolers also...

Btw i read at XS that 4850's reference cooler is not at all bad. The guy removed the cooler and reapplied the thermal paste. The temps went from 79 @ idle to 55 @ idle...
 
Why? Just wondering.

Also, how much performance increase is there from a 1900XTX 512MB to a 4850?

The 4850 should be more than double the speed of the x1900XTX. The generational difference is comparable to going from a 9800XT to an x1900XTX.
 
When I get my 4850, it will be a Palit. Palit has shown amazing customer service to me, and they have better coolers. Not to mention the horror stories I hear about some other manufactures o_O
 
Yeah, not much of a difference. I kinda like the Visiontek one for no particular reason.

Also, if you see any actual ATI-branded cards, they are also from Visiontek (especially in North America); however, for some reason, there hasn't been an ATI-branded AGP card since the X1950PRO (though there have been AGP cards from other companes, especially Visiontek and Sapphire, for the HD2000 and HD3000 series).
 
I like asus - the picture quality I get on my dvico hd is excellent on my x1950pro - picture quality was not so good on diamond hd3850.

I'm leaning towards asus - even though diamond has a better bundle, with Stranglehold game included...
 
I like the Visiontek because they have a lifetime warranty (with limitations) and they didn't put a sticker over the heatsink cover so you can actually see the copper heatsink beneath. Also cheap if you got it at BB last week (As low as $135)
 
Also, if you see any actual ATI-branded cards, they are also from Visiontek (especially in North America); however, for some reason, there hasn't been an ATI-branded AGP card since the X1950PRO (though there have been AGP cards from other companes, especially Visiontek and Sapphire, for the HD2000 and HD3000 series).

Actually, Sapphire, not Visiontek, makes(or made) the ATI-branded cards. Sapphire, Powercolor(IIRC), and possibly ASUS are the only ATI partners with their own manufacturing facilities.
 
Actually, Sapphire, not Visiontek, makes(or made) the ATI-branded cards. Sapphire, Powercolor(IIRC), and possibly ASUS are the only ATI partners with their own manufacturing facilities.

You're thinking about outside of North America again.

Visiontek acquired ATI's old manufacturing jigs (from the old headquarters building in Markham, Ontario, Canada) and had them shipped to the US as part of the branding deal for North America.

Further, I actually *have* one of the last ATI-branded AGP cards (x1650 PRO) and while it actually has an ATI-backed warranty (not a Visiontek warranty), it was sold by Visiontek Products, LLC.
 
You're thinking about outside of North America again.

Visiontek acquired ATI's old manufacturing jigs (from the old headquarters building in Markham, Ontario, Canada) and had them shipped to the US as part of the branding deal for North America.

Further, I actually *have* one of the last ATI-branded AGP cards (x1650 PRO) and while it actually has an ATI-backed warranty (not a Visiontek warranty), it was sold by Visiontek Products, LLC.

Hmm, I guess my information was out of date then. I apologise for falsely correcting you, and thanks for the info.
 
Go with HiS, on the egg they have a combo deal
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161235
you get a "Free iClear card w/ purchase, while supplies last" that values 79.99$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800997026

Hmm... I would of expected $80 to get more than an empty PCB and 6 capacitors.

I might be dumb, but I almost think I could even make that thing with $5 and a visit to Fry's Electronics (though it might cost me $75 in gas to drive 5 miles down the road to Fry's).

:p
 
It doesn't seem like ATI really had vendors that stand out and shine like EVGA, BFG, and XFX seem to do for Nvidia.

I'd probably go Visiontek because they are an American company, have their headquarters in Illinois. Might mean easier/quicker support (though if you aren't in America that might not be important to you).
 
They make other ATI cards so why not? Now that companies are supposedly allowed to OC the cards and use non-reference coolers it would seem right up Palit's alley.
 
My Powercolor 3870 has proven to be crummy and unreliable. Going with Palit this time around. =)
 
Aren't all the initial cards all made by the same company anyways?

So, for now it really does not matter.
 
Aren't all the initial cards all made by the same company anyways?

So, for now it really does not matter.

Yes, they are all initially made by Sapphire, but the level of support you recieve should something go wrong varies widely, with Sapphire being the worst when it comes to support and getting and RMA, to Visiontek with having a lifetime warranty on their cards (the defacto standard ATi warranty is only 1 year).

Do your research and choose wisely.

(Personally I went with a 9800GTX from XFX instead of the 4850 simply because I KNOW that I will be well taken care of if I should have a problem. Peace of mind when it comes to support is second in priority only to the card's performance and price - this is where ATi's AIB partners, for the most part, fall way short compared to nVIDIA's partners.)
 
In newegg they have about 8 different brands listed for this card im new at this and im deciding to get either this card or the evga8800gts for this build.

Which of the brands can be trusted?

they are all made at the same place so it doenst really matter
 
Back
Top