4850 and odd AA experiences

Kelv

Limp Gawd
I posted this in a different thread but it didn't really receive much attention.
All these are at 1280 x 1024 from the Crysis Benchmark
I also remember testing the Lost Coast demo, and even with the highest AA on, it still seemed rather poor. However, with Crysis it almost seems like once I set it past 4xAA, it decides to stick with 2xAA no matter what I set it at, unless I set it to 8QxAA. I haven't tried forcing it through drivers but I don't want to have to.

0xAA - 46.5 fps
2xAA - 42.90 fps
4xAA - 41.80 fps
8xAA - 42.84 fps
8QxAA - 38.20 fps
16xAA - 43.02 fps
16QxAA - 42.95 fps

There have been a few discussions including [H]'s own report on the AA quality vs performance hit.
It appears that you do indeed get some of the Anti Aliasing modes more or less for free!

Happy :D

There have been a few discussions including [H]'s own report on the AA quality vs performance hit.
It appears that you do indeed get some of the Anti Aliasing modes more or less for free!

Happy :D

My guess is that Crysis lists nVidia AA modes (no idea why ;)) and as ATi cards do not offer 8x (they only do 8xQ aka real 8x multisampling) or any 16x mode they default to another setting when selected. While this appears to be validated by Kelv's results, I was under the impression that Crysis used its own AA routines.

Back