4850 AA issues in UE3 games

krameriffic

2[H]4U
So I upgraded from an 8800GT to a 4850 and I've been having large framerate drops with AA forced in UE3 based games, specifically Bioshock and Mass Effect. I'm running in Windows XP SP3 with a Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, 2 gigs of RAM and the 4850 at stock speeds on the 8.6 hotfix drivers. I run both games at 1600x1200 with maxed settings, 8x AF and 4x AA, but the AA really kills the framerate compared to running with none at all. I go from the 80+ range in Bioshock down to the 20s and 30s and the 60 FPS cap in ME down to the 20s just forcing AA to 4x. Now, I went back and reinstalled my 8800GT to test those two games in particular and forcing AA in both I was seeing framerates in the 50s and 60s in Bioshock and 50+ most of the time in ME. I have no such issues in any other games (Assassin's Creed, TF2, CoD4, Crysis), I just get a minor performance hit running AA.

Every driver reinstall I did I ran Driver Sweeper several times in safe mode and I am pretty sure it's not a compatibility issue. Anybody else encountering this problem with UE3 games? If so, does it exist in the UE3 games that I don't have like UT3 or R6:V?

Also is Super Sampling enabled? Because thats the only way you get AA to work in U3 based games and at that resolution you see a major hit in Frames. Also are you sure the Nvidia card is forcing AA?

Tonight when I get home I will download the Bioshock demo, and test Mass effect. I just got my 4850 and I to am using XP with SP3 and the 8.6 drivers from the site.

No I'm using the normal box filter and yes, I am sure there is AA present. The 4850 takes at least a 50 FPS dip in all situations running 4x and probably 30 running 2x in Bioshock. It's just unusual because in other games (besides Crysis) it makes very little noticeable impact on my framerates. And I know that UE3 isn't technically supposed to support AA, but I can assure you that there is significant jaggy reduction in both games doing what I'm doing.

I don't think forcing AF is a good idea.

Either way, UE3 stuff doesn't play with AA too well. 4x and 8x are indistinguishable. 2x is recommended mostly. But your scores still seem low.

Back