• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4850 -> 6850 or 6870?

pojut

Gawd
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
541
Hey all. My 4850 is starting to look a bit long in the tooth, so when I get my tax return, I was planning on splurging for a new video card. I game in 1920x1080 (with no plans for a monitor upgrade in the foreseeable future)...you can see the specs of my rig in my sig.

Question: at 1920x1080, would a 6850 be adequate, or should I drop the extra $100 and go for the 6870? Would a 6870 be limited by my CPU, making it moot? Help me, [H]ard members, you're my only hope!
 
Both will run the intended resolution fine, i guess it just depends on how much you want to spend at the time of your tax return. I would grab a 6870 so you can keep it longer before upgrading again, or better yet a used 5870 which for around the same price will outperform the 6870.
 
A 6850 @ 950|1150 = stock 6870 in many things. Of course the 6870 overclocks too.

I'd wait and see what the 6950 costs and how much better it is than the 6870. Of course it may be out of your price range.

IMO a manually overclocked 6850 @ 900+ on the core would be a fine upgrade for you for the cash. It would even be fine @ stock and you should be able to get 900 on the core with it or better I'd think. Of course OCing is never guaranteed.
 
I'm no stranger to OCing, but I'm a bit past the point where I want to mess with it/run the risk...just looking for something solid out of the box.

Of course, if I went with the 6850, I could upgrade to a Phenom II and get the extra Cache 3 performance...but that's prolly a bit of a waste at this point, what with 6-core CPU prices dropping like rocks.

Thanks for the advice all. Since this is at least a couple months away from happening, I'll have ample time to check out prices and performance on the 6950, and go from there. I prefer upgrading my video card every 2-3 years, so I don't mind shelling out the extra cash (especially from a tax return, lol.)
 
Back
Top