• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4830 and 3870

Shago

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
192
I'm a bif confused about buying my videocard. I hope you guys can help me out!

Asus EAH4830/HTDP:
chipspeed: 575Mhz
memory: 512mb GDDR3
memoryspeed: 1800mhz
stream processors: 640

Sapphire HD3870 Ultimate
chipspeed: 775Mhz
memory: 512mb GDDR4
memoryspeed: 2250mhz
stream processors: 320

Now, the price of the 4830 is 139 euros, the 3870 costs 99 euros. What's the catch? Or is the website that gave me this information false?
This videocard will be hooked up with a AM3 motherboard and a AMD 2.8 tricore (720)
 
So basicly, I pay 40 euros less, which is almost half the price of the 3870, for the same? Must be a slap in the face for the people who bought the 4830 :s. Or do stream processors make all the difference?
 
Well, the 4830 is faster... Think a 9600GT vs a 9800GT(X). Not much of a difference, but still -- faster.
 
So basicly, I pay 40 euros less, which is almost half the price of the 3870, for the same? Must be a slap in the face for the people who bought the 4830 :s. Or do stream processors make all the difference?

The 4830 is certainly faster than the 3870. It delivers fairly similar performance to a 9800GT, while the 3870 is more comparable with 9600GT.
 
The 4830 is gonna be faster due to the extra stream processors.

I went from a 3870 to a 4850 (800 stream processors), and the performance at stock speeds was more than double what the 3870 did.

The 4830 is also going to do better with FSAA.
 
The 4830 is a bit faster, and has much much better handling of AA.

Thos prices seem rather high though, since the 4830 goes for about 85-95 US Dollars before rebate.
 
When asking for "Build help" in the general hardware forum many people said europe is overpriced.
And the prices I get this from, is from the cheapest webshop in my country :/

Aditional question: Any brand I should avoid? I can choose between the following

» Asus
» ATI
» Club 3D
» GigaByte
» MSI
» Sapphire
» XFX

I want to try out Sapphire personally.
 
Last edited:
Just saw a review of the XFX version. The cooler looks pretty nice, taking all the hot air out of the system directly :).
Does XFX also deliver additional stuff with their products? Like maybe games, connectors etc...

How's the sapphire working for you ClearM4? It's a differenc of 25euros between the sapphire and XFX (sapphire is the cheaper one)
 
Last edited:
4830 all the way!
I would also like to add in here that XFX has a lifetime warrenty with it. If you want to spend the extra $25 for that.
 
change that in $32 :p.
I'm still in doubt about sapphire/xfx since it isnt allowed in europe to go below 2 years of warranty for companies.
Let me change my question in: how long do you guys think an AM3 motherboard will be "viable". Because, If that VGA card will break down after 2 years, I'd like to put another mid range card in it :).
 
Back
Top