4800+ stock heatsink/fan ... revving VERY fast

jazzwall

n00b
Hi all, I just built a new system... but the AMD 4800+ fan is revving very fast after 10-15 minutes of operation... and it's VERY noisy as a result...

and I'm not even doing any real computing on it either... just start it up and in 15 minutes or so, gradually the fan starts revving faster and faster until it becomes very noisy. And I checked the cpu temperature... it's 41 C / 105 F... the mobo temp is 42C/107C...

I'm using a p180 case, a8n-sli premium mobo, and 6600gt card (single for now). The fans are connected to the "fan only" connecters of the PSU (Antec TPII 550)... so the ASUS untility shows those fans as "below threshold..." ie Off.

any help/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jazz

Update: I installed the AMD "Cool'n'Quiet" driver on XP and the revving has slowed down considerably. But I'm wondering if this is the "real" solution... shouldn't something like "Cool'n'Quiet" be implemented in the hardware itself?

Thanks!

-Jazz

jazzwall said:
Update: I installed the AMD "Cool'n'Quiet" driver on XP and the revving has slowed down considerably. But I'm wondering if this is the "real" solution... shouldn't something like "Cool'n'Quiet" be implemented in the hardware itself?

Thanks!

-Jazz

Well, it is in the hardware level. But it needs software to tell it when it's ok to clockdown and undervolt.

Did this work? I just wanna know so when I get my 4800 I don't have to listen to a tornado...

Zinn said:
Did this work? I just wanna know so when I get my 4800 I don't have to listen to a tornado...

I'll let you know when I get all of my parts lol, I've gotten all but the video card it's with FedEx somewhere.
I don't think this is a permanent fix though, for better air cooling a massive HSF is still needed, actually the irritating noise of stock HSF was the reason I ever discovered Zalman. The stock HSF on my old P4 3.0C was running like a vacuum that's why I bought a Zalman, will probably have to do the same for this rig.

Zinn said:

Well... it still sounds like a tornado. Opening the case helped a lot... more access to cool outside air. So that means I'm going to install a fan in the front of the case to suck some cool air in. But it's still damn annoying... it's the one single thing spoiling my whole setup.

My Setup:
Dell 2405fpw 24" LCD (really sweet)
AMD 4800+ box verson
ASUS A8N SLI Premium
Antec TPII 550 power supply
Antec p180 case
Corsair Twinx 2gb dual channel ram (4x512)
2x74gb WD Raptor sata drives on RAID 0
320gb WD Caviar sata drive -for backup/etc
1 x evga 6600gt sli card (temp...for $150... waiting for 6800ultra/7800 to cheapen).

-Jazz

Update: I installed an intake fan in the front of the case... now the temp at idle stays around 38/39 C. And it's much quieter too.

Thanks ya'll :)

-Jazz

Using a zalman on my 4800 and no problems so far with cooling. Compared to stock, it's a noticable decrease in noise level imho.

A Good XP120 with Quiet 120mm Fan would take care of this issue. But Thats only if you wanted to spend 60ish Dollars on a cooling setup. Its worth it over stock any day but thats just my opinion.

If you can, hook the CPU fan to the motherboard so you can monitor and adjust how fast the fan spins. If you hook it on to the PSU's fan connector, it'll automatically spin faster since the thermal sensor is inside the PSU.

kamxam said:
Using a zalman on my 4800 and no problems so far with cooling. Compared to stock, it's a noticable decrease in noise level imho.

Kamxam---what model Zalman did you use with your 4800+?

Tks
Al

Back