48 cores w/ new version 7 client?

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
Decided to try the new client and am having a little trouble getting the software to see all 48 cores under 2K8; just keeps auto-detecting 32. musky pointed me in the right direction with the old client using -smp 48. Have tried a couple things with the new config.xml file, but no dice. Help? :)

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
Have you set the client to 48 cores set to expert then configure / slots / edit / smp /cpu and where it says -1 put 48 in that box

Grandpa_01 - THANK YOU! Man, what a pain in the butt that was. I'm all for new stuff and not entirely against change, but that was certainly a lot more complicated than it needed to be IMHO! I was getting pretty frustrated after trying all sorts of things: command line switches, XML experiments, etc. System now sees all 48 cores and is running at 100%.

For the curious, here's what the config.xml file winds up looking like if you just want the simple "all your eggs in one basket" approach -
<config>
<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
<client-type v='bigadv'/>

<!-- Network -->
<proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- User Information -->
<passkey v=' '/>
<team v='33'/>
<user v=' '/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
<slot id='0' type='SMP'>
<cpus v='48'/>
</slot>
</config>

Thanks again! :)

Yeah v7 is set up for the beginner not really for advanced folding but once you get it figured out it is pretty easy. Not allot of people are using it yet so there are not too many guides out there yet. But it is nice once it is set up by default it is set to auto start when you boot up and it will download the next WU when the running 1 reaches 99%. It will start running that WU when the WU that is running reaches 100% before it sends helping to maximise production.

Edit
Were you able to get the kraken to work on it or did you even try.

Last edited:
I was assuming he was using Linux since he is using the bigadv flag but I see now he is not (2K8) guess I should read a little more carefully. :eek:

I was hoping tear would read this though and get him thinking about making it work on v7. :D

You are going to crank SMP WU, but if you are going to need a VM if you want -bigadv.

This particular server won't be around for much longer; but a better one will be taking its place before long. Have set this 4P system up with Linux and the Kraken in the past, as well as a similar & better 2P system. As for VM's... maybe? Am guessing there's a good guide for that 'round these parts? :) Anyway, just figured I'd get some quick folding in while I could before this box goes on its merry way.

You are going to crank SMP WU, but if you are going to need a VM if you want -bigadv.

BTW, I don't quite understand what you're getting at here. For a 4P system this thing isn't that "OMG" by any means, but it's still managing ~13m/TPF and finishing 6900's in less than one day. (The bigadv flag is set and IIRC 6900's are ba units) So how would using VM's improve this? I'm asking honestly, I always like to learn something new. Can apply the knowledge here and possibly to other things too. :)

I dont think you can get BA WU's on windows at all. You need to be on the linux client to get them.

You can get 6900's
But the 6903/4 are linux.

Fast, using a vbox setup, you can install ubuntu, muskys guide is fantastic, and you can then draw the 6903/4 units.. These units are where you get the OMG points.

Oh and linux core is written more efficiently they say, so you'll see atleast 10% ppd boost just running it over window.

Well at some point I'll be getting a better system to play with, and that one will run Ubuntu for a while and will be using musky's guide as always. Not sure if I'll have time to play with VM's with this box though. In the mean time it sits there quietly doing what it can. :)

It literly takes 30 mins to install vbox, ubuntu and f@h.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!

Back