4790K ES tested

psyclist

Gawd
Hey guys,

PCPer has a Devil's Canyon ES on the bench, good temps but mediocre overclock. Im wondering if these re-spun Haswell chips all require more voltage or if its a function of the Z97 platform. Im hoping for 5GHz, but not so sure. Hope my H100i can get me there!

cpu lottery i guess. I need to get away from my 3570k and got a 4770k for $120. I'm thinking about selling and getting a 4790k and hopefully joining the 5GHz+ club :D

On this same motherboard, on this same day, I was able to take a Core i7-4770K ES processor and hit 4.8 GHz stable with a voltage of just 1.25v.

I'm suspicious. How does he know he's stable without more time to test. That 4770k is the cherry picked one. That's as good as it gets on Haswell, and he knew he was stable with it already. 4.7Ghz should be the bottom of the barrel on DC just like 4.2Ghz was on the 4770k. Out of the 6 4770k's I tested, HALF were bottom barrels. 1 did 4.4 1 did 4.5 and 1 did 4.6. I expect a similar distribution with DC.

Kinda sucks that he tested the 4790k on an ASUS Z97 board, and the 4770k on an Intel Z87 board. Would have been interesting to see if OC, temps, and wattage results were any different, had he used both on Z97 and then both on Z87.

Power usage between the PCPer, DigitalStorm, and Hexus reviews is still all over the place.

cpu lottery i guess. I need to get away from my 3570k and got a 4770k for $120. I'm thinking about selling and getting a 4790k and hopefully joining the 5GHz+ club :D

I hope people realize that Intel, and any other company for that matter, will always show off the most pristine product they have. The chances that many people will get to 5Ghz or beyond is not going to be much higher than it currently is.

Anyways, nice review. Unfortunate that every site is going to have to waste their time doing yet another review on something we could have easily predicted.

Back