• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4790 vs 4770K/4790K

encode

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
68
Hi all!

I decided to upgrade to Haswell/Z97 platform.
I just sold my 3770K/Z77 - feel myself obsolete and too old-fashioned + disliked USB 3.0 performance and lack of SATA3 ports of Z77 chipset.
Also, I have a great 32 GB DDR3 kit which I'd like to keep - and do not hop to DDR4 for a few generations to come.

I'm running my PC 24/7 as a remote server/desktop, mostly at 100% CPU load.
I think it's not the best idea to seriously overclock at this scenario.
Plus, I'd like to use a pretty compact tower heatsink - Noctua NH-U9S - for its silent operation and aesthetics/size.
I'd like to keep temps below 75C.

My question: is 4790K too hot for 24/7 100% load witn no water/a compact cooler?

Is 4770K with a mild overclock (4.0-4.2 GHz) better than 4790 non-K (4.0 GHz turbo)?
 
4790K is fine for 24/7 load on air. Why wouldn't it be?

I dont see any issue running it at 75C or even below. I use a TS15A cooler on my 91W 6700K. And even with fanspeed at only 1000rpm it doesn't get over 75C when doing Prime95.

And yes, a 4770K is better than a 4790 with a mild OC. Remember the base clocks. The base clock of the 4790 is 3.6Ghz.

Refer to these tables for turbo bins with amount of active cores:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005523.html
 
Purchased the i7-4790 (Non-K) - the cheapest one. Instantly overclocked it to ~4.2 GHz! Max Prime95 temps (small FFTs) - 65C! I am happy with the purchase!
The pic:
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top