4770k vs 4790k questions

flod

Gawd
suppose both are delidded and water cooled so that temperatures are not an issue for either
1. at the same clock speeds, is there any difference?
2. given the same voltages, is the average 4790k better than the average 4770k at overclocking?

i have a 4770k on z87 that can do 4.5-4.6ghz at around 1.25-1.28 vcore, and i'm planning to switch from to a z97 mitx board for a semi-upgrade and case swap. i know upgrading to 4790k is not worth the price at all, but im just wondering if there is anything at all to be gained.

At the same clocks there is no difference what so ever,as for delidded/voltage,I believe its the same chip lottery that it has always been.

I owned a 4770k for a year now. Just bought a new 4790k for a friend. After quick test between both system I dont see much of improvement over my current system beside the fact he got GTX 980 vs my Xfire R9 290x. Rendering 3D Max and otherthings is almost identical in speed. I dont think it is worth the jump unless you can sell you Z87 for identical price what you pay for the Z97

suppose both are delidded and water cooled so that temperatures are not an issue for either
1. at the same clock speeds, is there any difference?
2. given the same voltages, is the average 4790k better than the average 4770k at overclocking?

i have a 4770k on z87 that can do 4.5-4.6ghz at around 1.25-1.28 vcore, and i'm planning to switch from to a z97 mitx board for a semi-upgrade and case swap. i know upgrading to 4790k is not worth the price at all, but im just wondering if there is anything at all to be gained.

Honestly not much of a difference. I upgraded when I did a new build, and resold the 4790k and just stuck to my 4770k.

they are basically they same chip, the 4790K its binned due to higher base clock, but also have much better voltage regulation and generally out of the box the 4790K have a higher overclock ceiling but nothing more..

alright thanks everyone...
looking at the 4770k and 4790k google docs from OCn, it seems that my voltages/clock speeds are a bit above average for the 4770k, and roughly around average for the 4790k

so i'm not going to bother with the lottery again... probably i'll just delid at some point so that if i mess it up i have an excuse for myself to "upgrade" to a 4790k :p

Back