4770k overclock failing, poor temps..

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
so a few years ago when I built my rig I I got everything up and running pretty stable. Last few days I have been having some issues though.

clock_watchdog_errors. when doing something as simple as opening google chrome.

Then problems even booting up..

I removed the overclock and loaded optimized defaults and booted fine.

Loaded hardware monitor and turned on prime95 small ffts (it was the version optimized for the 4770k I believe.

Anyway the temps shot from mid 30's up to 95-100c immediately! So what could be going on? I don't beleive this is normal but i did build the PC some years ago.

I have 2 quad 120 radiators and a direct die water cooling block (delidded CPU) in a 900D. I used a liquid metal tim on the cpu die. Guess it's time to remove the block or else maybe the temperatures are just wrong?

Thank in advance.

What were you clocked at and at what voltage?

Could be electromigration for the failing OC.

Quite a few SB users got this too a few years ago when clocked quite aggressively and with relatively high volts... maybe bumping off 100-200mhz and increasing the voltage would keep the machine stable.

What were you clocked at and at what voltage?

Could be electromigration for the failing OC.

Quite a few SB users got this too a few years ago when clocked quite aggressively and with relatively high volts... maybe bumping off 100-200mhz and increasing the voltage would keep the machine stable.

I was clocked at 4400mhz, and 1.275volts to the vcore.

Motherboard is an Asus Hero.

I remember these CPU's got quite hot if you didn't remove the heatspeader, no matter how good your water loop was. I got about 50c drop in temperature by delidding, and it ran cooler than stock. I didn't think the liquid metal tims dried out? But I haven't kept up with the times.

Now My waterblock is copper and it's on the bare CPU die, so needless to say, I am a bit worried about taking this apart. I'm guessing the chip is toast is the tim bonded to it? Which means tie for new MB, CPU and waterblock.?

Last edited:
Yes these CPUs do indeed run a little hot.

I have 0 experience with delidding and running different TIMs but this could be a factor with as well I guess.

Maybe you can restore your old overclock and back off 200mhz to see if this remains stable?

4.2 is not [H]ard but should still be plenty good!

You did all that cooling and direct-die for only 4400? Talk about overkill..... You really just need to double check everything and make sure there's no separation/re-do the TIM. I highly recommend putting the heatspreader back on if you're only going to run it @4400. Also you really lost the lottery if it requires 1.275V for that speed.

If your pump and fans are running, im willing to bet that the waterblock mount has loosened over time. This happens to all my LGA systems. I feel that the board pins wrakewn around the 5th straight year (i service my loops twice a decade - only) and the TIM cracks or runs.

If your pump and fans are running, im willing to bet that the waterblock mount has loosened over time. This happens to all my LGA systems. I feel that the board pins wrakewn around the 5th straight year (i service my loops twice a decade - only) and the TIM cracks or runs.
My thoughts, as well. Liquid metal also needs more frequent attention than a more traditional TIM.

Clock watch dog is typically running insufficient VRIN (which speaks also to your vcore required for your clock).
As for not even starting up, I'm curious on the age of the PSU as well.

But yeah reading this does make me glad I can be lazy on my air-cooled setup lol. It's kinda the reason I like it that way.

so a few years ago when I built my rig I I got everything up and running pretty stable. Last few days I have been having some issues though.

clock_watchdog_errors. when doing something as simple as opening google chrome.

Then problems even booting up..

I removed the overclock and loaded optimized defaults and booted fine.

Loaded hardware monitor and turned on prime95 small ffts (it was the version optimized for the 4770k I believe.

Anyway the temps shot from mid 30's up to 95-100c immediately! So what could be going on? I don't beleive this is normal but i did build the PC some years ago.

I have 2 quad 120 radiators and a direct die water cooling block (delidded CPU) in a 900D. I used a liquid metal tim on the cpu die. Guess it's time to remove the block or else maybe the temperatures are just wrong?

Thank in advance.
Time for new TIM

I try to do mine every year and a half or so

I don't use liquid metal pastes. This is a science experiment enough as it is.

I don't think the block has loosened, it's pretty exact in how you snug it down without crushing the core on a direct die cooling setup. Yes I guess I lost the lottery but it is what it is, 4400 at the time was faster than anything officially out so it was still good enough. I'm hoping to pull the waterblock tonight.

PSU is about 10 years old. it's an old 1000 watt thermal-take, I think it was like $500 or $500 when it was new and pretty much the best thing out. But yep it's old. I was thinking PSU until I found the chip is running fine at stock speeds, so I think it is less likely. the PSU hasn't been taxed very hard at least...it's way under load!

I'm a bit behind the times, what are people recommending for TIMs these days? I thought liquid metal was supposed to be the best but is there something else I should buy? Thanks in advance.

I'd dump that old PSU asap honestly. Stressed or not, my old TX750 was unable to support my overclock when my other modern PSUs (750 G2 or SS-760XP) ran it without issue. It would just instantly restart - not even a BSOD. Now I realize you have other fish to fry (i.e. re-apply your liquid metal TIM), but best to eliminate any other loose-ends so there's less variables to worry about.

Power is simply something not worth discounting haha. At that time, my TX750 was only 6 years old, but was out of warranty already, so it was recycled. It was one of my loudest fans in my otherwise silent system, so that was another reason to toss it.

Back