• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4770k and uncore overclocking

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
1,623
How important is overclocking the uncore and how close should it be to your core overclock? I have a 4770k overclocked to 4.7ghz @ 1.29v core, 1.2v Vring, 1.8 VRIN. The uncore is at 4.2ghz right now. How close should my uncore be to 4.8ghz? If I should be closer to 1:1, how do I get my uncore higher?
 
Last edited:
How important is overclocking the uncore and how close should it be to your core overclock? I have a 4770k overclocked to 4.7ghz @ 1.29v core, 1.2v Vring, 1.8 VRIN. The uncore is at 4.2ghz right now. How close should my uncore be to 4.8ghz? If I should be closer to 1:1, how do I get my uncore higher?

Cache Multiplier & Voltage (not technically uncore on 4770k) recommendations will differ depending on who you talk to.

The most common suggestion you will hear is to keep Cache within 300MHz of your core speed and to keep cache voltage < core voltage.

500MHz difference between your cache and core is significant and were it my machine I would shoot for a cache multiplier of at least 44

I'm in the process of dialing in my OC and I'm current stable at the below settings.
Core 4.7 @ 1.300 Adaptive
Cache 4.3 @ 1.235 Static
Input Voltage @ 1.90

I would bump your input voltage to 1.9 and try your cache @ 4.4GHz 1.240. This is what I'll be doing tonight.
 
I was able to run 8 hours of Intel extreme tuning utility with the following settings:

4.7 ghz @ 1.295 vcore, 2.0v vrin, 4ghz uncore @ 1.2v ring

Will I be fine with this uncore or should I shoot for a little higher?

Do I need to give more vcore along with more ring as the uncore creeps up closer to cpu speed?
 
I was able to run 8 hours of Intel extreme tuning utility with the following settings:

4.7 ghz @ 1.295 vcore, 2.0v vrin, 4ghz uncore @ 1.2v ring

Will I be fine with this uncore or should I shoot for a little higher?

Do I need to give more vcore along with more ring as the uncore creeps up closer to cpu speed?

Core is King and 4.7 is an excellent OC on Haswell.

4.7 @ 1.295 is exactly what I'm at currently.

If you're able to try and bring up the uncore. Try 4.3GHz @ 1.230 or 1.235.

You need to find the balance between core and cache. Raising your core speed might require a substantial reduction in cache.

I can run 4.7core / 4.3cache but If I try to run 4.8 core I have to reduce cache to 4.0. Temps have forced me to stay @ 4.7, for now.

If you can handle the temps stick with core @ 4.7 and play with the cache ratio and voltage. Getting it to 4.3 or even 4.4 (unlikely) would be a bit of an improvement.
 
Thanks for the help. I will try and play with those settings and report back. I think I am trying to push uncore too high around 4.4/4.5 which seems hard at a cpu core of 4.7.
 
Back
Top