• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4770 or 4850?

noclick

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
76
Hey i am building a new rig and need some opinions.

My computer consist of gigabyte 780g motherboard, AMD PII 940BE, 4gb ram, 1tb WD black, and cosair hx520. Last thing i need to do is order the video card(s).

I mainly use my computer for video and watching movies. Games i usually play are CSS, COD and battlefield. I been reading the review for the new 4770 cards and since it is similiar in price and perform as the 4850 which card is better for my setup. Will the new 4770 overclocker better then the 4850? Can my cosair 520 handle 4770 or 4850 in crossfire? Do i even need crossfire to run the games that i play. Keep in mind i'm moving up from a 7800gtx card. Any advice or opinion would be great. Oh and i play on 1900x1200 monitor.
 
4770 imo, its cheaper and uses less power while only being 5%ish behind on performance.
 
@1920x1200, if you have the money, you should get a HD 4870 1GB or HD 4890 1GB. Between HD4770 and HD 4850, I would go with the HD 4770 because it is newer and uses less power.
 
I would get the 4770 but I would also wait about 3~4 weeks or so. There should be some under $80 after rebate by then and you have integrated video to hold you over

Your Corsair would handle crossfire with either setup. Whether you need it or not depends on you. I run 1920x1080 with a 9600GT and its OK. I replaced it with a 4830 once and it was faster but I really didn't notice, even when I switched back to the Nvidia
 
So far the HD 4770s look bare bone and cheap IMO.

Not enough decent reviews to make a good decision at this point in time.

The HD4850 can be had cheap these days.

Also power usage of the HD4770 really isn't that much lower than HD4850.
 
Also power usage of the HD4770 really isn't that much lower than HD4850.

Say what?

50w under heavy 3d load vs 110w under the same load? Power consumption on the 4770 is miniscule compared to the monstrous 4850.

I agree about the cards, though - that reference HSF is asstastic. Want this card so badly, but that HSF is both HIDEOUS, and also completely unable to fit in my case. (Baffles me why ATI felt that the 110w 4850 could get away with single-slot cooling and the 50w 4770 can't. Madness!)
 
I went for a HD4770. I got a XFX one and I'm going to overclock the piss out of it. Time to see if the card will need any ram sinks or not. I thought GDDR5 got pretty toasty.
 
I read in another review that the power usage was just lower than HD4850 under full 3D load.


Impressive review.

Nice clocks, good temps, based on the Xbit review great power consumption.

This card should destroy the HD4850 yet all current reviews state it as being just a hair under the HD4850.

Looking forward to more reviews and Xfire action.
 
I'm leaning toward the hd4770 due to the overclock potential and one review had two in crossfire which surpass a hd4890.

The cooler is fuugly and maybe i'll wait for a BBA card with the better looking cooler. Guess my intergated graphic will have to do unless the price of the hd4850 continue to drop.
 
Back
Top