• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4770 in short supply

Joined
Apr 25, 2007
Messages
526
Has anyone looked for the 4770 lately? I was hoping that by now there would be some sweet MIR deals, but it seeems like most places are sold out.
 
Yea, I am interested in 4770 as well. From what I have read, the problem is that AMD's yields a pretty low on the new 40nm process. So they are probably tweaking the manufacturing process to increase yields.

Hopefully AMD will work out the bugs and we should see more 4770's available in another month or so.
 
Not really surprised. I think a big point behind the HD4770 was to allow AMD to bang out the problems with the 40nm process before they launch the HD5000-series. A good way to do that is with a budget card.
 
they lowered the price of the 4850 to $99 because of this problem. much better deal if you ask me. might not OC as well, but plenty faster out of the box.
 
Not really surprised. I think a big point behind the HD4770 was to allow AMD to bang out the problems with the 40nm process before they launch the HD5000-series. A good way to do that is with a budget card.

Right, That is exactly what they are doing with the HD4770. Once the yields are improved on the 40nm process, AMD will start using it on their new higher end graphics cards.
 
they lowered the price of the 4850 to $99 because of this problem. much better deal if you ask me. might not OC as well, but plenty faster out of the box.

Yeah. I've put 2x of the $99 XFX 4850's in to builds for family members this past week. It's a hell of a card for $100.
 
Yeah. I've put 2x of the $99 XFX 4850's in to builds for family members this past week. It's a hell of a card for $100.

Wait, what, $99 XFX HD4850's? Where?

- Edit
Oh, right. Nevermind, I found it on Newegg. I just never paid attention to the MIR's...
 
The Microcenter by my house had one HD4770 in stock. They matched Newegg's price of $109 (from $140) so I bought it. Runs cooler then the 3870 I have.
 
The Fry's at Webster, TX had several Diamond and XFX cards, but they werer $129. I will probably bite if stock doesn't get refreshed.
 
Would be even shorter in supply if there were more versions with the sexy 2-slot cooler from the reference picture. I think you only get that from XFX at the moment.
 
I'm waiting for XFX's HD 4770 which exhausts hot air out the rear.

Really?

Why?

It's a friggin' 50w card under load! In your office, you've got LIGHTBULBS that consume more power. In fact, I'd be surprised if you could find anything electric in your house that did not produce more heat.

There is no reason at all that this card should even HAVE a dual-slot cooler, other than the fact that they are obnoxiously cheap to make since almost every other card needs one. For reference, under load the Radeon 9800 Pro pulled about the same amount of power as the Radeon 4770. And I'm sure everyone remembers the tiny, crappy, aluminum HSF those cards had on them.
 
Because that's my preference. Eventually that card will make it's way into my HTPC which has 6 hard drives so exhausting the heat out the rear is better than dumping it into my case.
 
Because that's my preference. Eventually that card will make it's way into my HTPC which has 6 hard drives so exhausting the heat out the rear is better than dumping it into my case.

You just need a good case with decent airflow :) I would personally prefer the dual slot design too.
 
The Microcenter by my house had one HD4770 in stock. They matched Newegg's price of $109 (from $140) so I bought it. Runs cooler then the 3870 I have.

Cuz I'm a lazy B...... and browsing [H] off my cellphone.. how's much faster is your 4770 versus the 3870 in games like COD 4, 5 and Valve games?
 
Cuz I'm a lazy B...... and browsing [H] off my cellphone.. how's much faster is your 4770 versus the 3870 in games like COD 4, 5 and Valve games?

It was an impulse buy. I have a real problem (according to the wife) and the guy at MC matched Newegg so I said what the hell and bought it, lol. I needed another video card for another rig anyway. CS:S runs great as it did before and Need for Speed Undercover runs better. I liked the fact that it consumes less power and that is really about it.
 
XFX HD4770 isn't the same heat sink that the original reviewed HD4770 had. It is missing heat pipes. :confused:

Also missing ram heat sinks. :eek:

Also missing a bunch of other electrical components.


So far the card that ATI pushed into the market is nothing like the one that was reviewed.


I think the ugly cheap heat sink and fan that is on most of the HD4770s is better than the XFX HD4770 cooler. Only difference is that heat will be blown out the back but if you have a decent case with good air flow in and out it should be a problem.


HD4700 is a cool card. Stock voltage is around 1 volt which can push it till around 900/1000 on a cool system. 40nm gpu likes to stay cool. get close to 70 degrees celsius and stability begins to go out the door.

I saw 2 open box HD4770s at a Frys today. (in Burbank California). They were the only ones there. The rest were sold out. It's a great card.
 
Newegg has just one 4770 listed now, it had 7 or 8 last week...
 
theres a 40nm shortage. give it some time.

It's not shortage. 40 nm yields are just very bad. Why do you think that the card was launched at $109, when it was supposed to cost $99 ? AMD can't make much money out of these cards and if the yields don't improve, they never will.
 
Interesting. I didnt realize it was hard to get when I bought one for a friend a couple weeks ago. He needed something his 300w dell PSU could handle, so I googled, saw that the 4770 didnt draw much power, logged into newegg and bought it.

Shoulda bought another to do some speculating! Hehe, jk. Great card, although he had some driver issues early on, but thats common with all new cards.
 
The Microcenter by my house had one HD4770 in stock. They matched Newegg's price of $109 (from $140) so I bought it. Runs cooler then the 3870 I have.

Ya, nice little cards. I'm anxious for some premium cooler versions to come out and ones with 1 GB of memory...The 2 I have now are pretty good though!
 
Yeah. I've put 2x of the $99 XFX 4850's in to builds for family members this past week. It's a hell of a card for $100.

It's nice that this is causing prices to drop. Has anyone seen OC 4770 XFire benchmarks compared to 4850 XFire benchmarks?
 
It's nice that this is causing prices to drop. Has anyone seen OC 4770 XFire benchmarks compared to 4850 XFire benchmarks?

I've ran both in my system in xfire configuration and the HD4770 out benches the HD4850 and plays games better. Plus its alot cooler and uses less power. HD4770 is better.
 
Ya, nice little cards. I'm anxious for some premium cooler versions to come out and ones with 1 GB of memory...The 2 I have now are pretty good though!

I plan on getting a better cooler for it. I'm pretty happy with it so far.
 
I've ran both in my system in xfire configuration and the HD4770 out benches the HD4850 and plays games better. Plus its alot cooler and uses less power. HD4770 is better.

Thanks for the info! I knew they were good cards, but with 4850s dropping in price I wanted to make sure it wasn't better to go that route. How much would you say it outperforms crossfire 4850s?
 
Ya, the stock coolers seem pretty flimsy and cheap. Any idea which cooler you'll be going with?


Keep a look out for new HD4770 coming out. Gigabyte just announce 2 different HD4770s which are totally different lay out and have much better cooling solutions.
 
Thanks for the info! I knew they were good cards, but with 4850s dropping in price I wanted to make sure it wasn't better to go that route. How much would you say it outperforms crossfire 4850s?

3-5% or more. Not sure. I was never able to break 24,000 in 3dMark06 with HD4850 in Xfire and with HD4770 I have broken 24,000 and working on hitting 26,000+.

Besides benchmarks HD4770 games bettter.

Huge plus for system is that HD4770 uses less power and is cooler which allow system to OC better.
 
Keep a look out for new HD4770 coming out. Gigabyte just announce 2 different HD4770s which are totally different lay out and have much better cooling solutions.

Pics or it didn't happen! :eek:
 
Pics or it didn't happen! :eek:

I found this doing a google search at at this WEB site:


http://www.matbe.com/actualites/67941/gigabyte-gv-n98tsl-1gi-gv-r477sl-1gi/
1GB Gigabyte HD4770 with passive cooling and it looks like a fan could be mounted to the video card as well.

GigabytePassiveHD4770.jpg



Looks like a totally new PCIB as well.
 
3-5% or more. Not sure. I was never able to break 24,000 in 3dMark06 with HD4850 in Xfire and with HD4770 I have broken 24,000 and working on hitting 26,000+.

Besides benchmarks HD4770 games bettter.

Huge plus for system is that HD4770 uses less power and is cooler which allow system to OC better.

Wow, nice. What were your platform, OS, driver version, and settings that allowed you to hit those numbers, pray tell?
 
Wow, nice. What were your platform, OS, driver version, and settings that allowed you to hit those numbers, pray tell?

XP 32 bit
CPU Q9550 with Zalman 9700 LED cooler
PSU Corsair TX650
DFI P45 JR T2RS MB
G. Skill Pi DDR2 PC2 8800
2 HD4770s in Xfire
 
^ I would love to get one for my HTPC. Soundless action, and plenty of horsepower under the hood. Though, I would want to know what the R8xx/Evergreen have to offer with the rumors of updated UVD, if they even come out this year.
 
Back
Top