470 vs 6870

FYI That 700watt mod xtreme is really only 554Watts on the 12v rails. I just had to upgrade from mine to do SLI.

FYI That 700watt mod xtreme is really only 554Watts on the 12v rails. I just had to upgrade from mine to do SLI.

I dont plan on doing SLI though. Do you think mine would work or supply enough power for everything. Overclock both Cpu and Gpu?

Ok so I am really thinking about the 470 but the 6870s core clock is way way faster than the 470. I think the 470 is like 625mhz while the 6870 is around 940mhz. Would that make a diffrence?

i would like to sooner or later maybe try to get into 3D stuff too.

6870 is slightly faster but you know AMD has been taken to task on their drivers at time. But if you're not planning to crossfire then it really shouldn't affect you as much. Honestly I think both companies can improve their multi-gpu support. Anything more than 2 gpus scales horribly.

I dont plan on doing SLI though. Do you think mine would work or supply enough power for everything. Overclock both Cpu and Gpu?

I have the same PSU with an i7 rig and GTX470 with everything overclocked including all 6 DIIMS of RAM and i'm fine and stable :)

I have the same PSU with an i7 rig and GTX470 with everything overclocked including all 6 DIIMS of RAM and i'm fine and stable :)

I plan to do the same one day once i figure it all out lol.

guy, why do you do this? that is a whole 5 to 10 dollars cheaper then a brand new one. that is not a deal.
Cheaper is cheaper chap
not to mention for someone like me (in NJ) I get taxed so all the great newegg prices you guys enjoy usually gets ruined for me. Thus it'd be more than 10 dollars cheaper ;)

A quick example?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130550 <--current cheapest 470 new $247.49 after rebate for me
I like saving over $30 on the same thing don't you?

Cheaper is cheaper chap
not to mention for someone like me (in NJ) I get taxed so all the great newegg prices you guys enjoy usually gets ruined for me. Thus it'd be more than 10 dollars cheaper ;)

A quick example?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130550 <--current cheapest 470 new $247.49 after rebate for me
I like saving over $30 on the same thing don't you?

Stupid Argument, a new Asus card would have a 3 year warranty, the used card has no warranty what so ever in Asus' eyes. Your card goes tits up, you're fucked.

Penny wise, pound foolish man.

Stupid Argument, a new Asus card would have a 3 year warranty, the used card has no warranty what so ever in Asus' eyes. Your card goes tits up, you're fucked.

pretty much this. and to add to it these items do deprecate over time for the avg life of a card. so that ten dollars you save not only has to make up for the above but also the time the card was used for.

:rolleyes: learn to read:
I am selling two of my GTX470's. This is an Asus ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5, here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121372

Card works great, but I am switching over to ATI for a bit because I am a techieHo and need something new play with. I should be putting up the other two cards later this week. If anyone is interested in those, just PM me. Warranty is handled through Asus via serial number. This is the card only, no accessories and I did replace the TIM with Artic ceramique.
Price is $230 Shipped New Price $215 shipped
The warranty is still my good sir :p

pretty much this. and to add to it these items do deprecate over time for the avg life of a card. so that ten dollars you save not only has to make up for the above but also the time the card was used for.
Oh noe's 2 months of it's 8year life span are depleted lol

I mean you brought up a valid point but it's covered :)

Last edited:
That comment was a little harsh tbh, but if you play any oldish games then you will get allsorts of headaches if you intend to Crossfire these eventually. LOTS of problems.

If you don't play any oldish games, then they are amazing. You won't have much trouble.

If you play games like Arma 2 (Vanilla) , forget it. Seriously.

Your be banging your head against a wall and having to piss about with third party tools just to get it working.

Really? All my old game seem to work just find with my 6870. Everythign is running at 60 right now too, so I guess I am doing something wrong. Havent had any driver problems, either....

I should go buy lottery tickets I am so lucky with these ATI drivers....

Really? All my old game seem to work just find with my 6870. Everythign is running at 60 right now too, so I guess I am doing something wrong. Havent had any driver problems, either....

I should go buy lottery tickets I am so lucky with these ATI drivers....

He was talking about crossfire eyefinity. Single card eyefinity is just fine, the problem being that when you have crossfire some games will only use one GPU in eyefinity.

NV = multi card/multi monitor performance

Ok so i decided to get the 470 superclocked so hopefully its here soon thanks everyone

One of my older friends said that to go with the 465 because for the money diffrence its not worth it?
ugh no they're terrible cards (unless you could hand pick it and know it would unlock to a 470)
why the superclocked one?? Is that the cheapest??

ugh no they're terrible cards (unless you could hand pick it and know it would unlock to a 470)
why the superclocked one?? Is that the cheapest??

Yeah I've heard terrible things about stock 465's, but if you can unlock it to a 470 then its worth it =D And superclocked is just factory overclocked, so they are no different in actual hardware. Just get whatever is cheaper and oc it

I was looking at alot of benchmarks and i read that 2 evga gtx 460s in sli will even out perform a gtx 480 and thats cheaper then a 480 so i might look into that. I didn't get a 470 for christmas like a was hoping for but I would like too look into 2 gtx 460s. Any advice? Thanks

Back