• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$470 on a video card

Ph0s5ph0L1p1D

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2004
Messages
257
OK so I was wondering what is the best video card I could get for 470, Im dont care if it is ATI or nvidia, all I care about is the BEST.

Ive seen a few 6800Ultras for 469.

But I was wondering if I should get me an x800pro and flash it to an x800xtPE.

anyways give me some opinions.
 
Thats what I did, flashed a X800pro Vivo to an XT PE. I have played with both the Ultra and XT PE. You cant go wrong with either on them. For $470 though you wont be able to find an Ultra. You should be able to find a Vivo for a little over $400 online, do not get it from Best Buy or Compusa, as your odds of finding one are very slim. I feel that the XT PE has a small advantage over the Ultra with all the "eyecandy" cranked up. So for the money get an X800pro Vivo! Edit: What brands of Ultra did you find for that money. There's a difference between manufacturer's.
 
lol because I dont want people to buy it before me. But its trusted just as much as newegg.

so is there no risks to flashing an x800pro to a XT PE? and will it beat the ultra?
 
X800 XT's run about $450-475. I got mine from Monarch Computer for $460 shipped. It's a faster card than the 6800GT. XT's will easily do X850 speeds on the stock coolers. I'd go for one of those.

My UE is for sale, if you can swing another $60.
 
Well, there are no guarentees when it comes to anything, even softmodding. Since you're asking for opinions, why do you need the best? Rather why do you need the fastest. There isn't a game on the market that a 9800PRO or 6800NU can't handle. Your card will only be the best for say another month, maybe two?

I say you get a highend card, but one that wont burn a hole in your pocket and leave you bitter after a month or two.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-202&depa=1

Total: $285.00

And that's just from the egg, i'm sure if you shop around a little, or even your trusted site might have them cheaper.

Just my $.02 though.
 
BFG 6800 NU is $250 on outpost.com if you go that route. Better deal than eVGA plus lifetime warranty and includes Far Cry (which you can probably get $20 for if you didn't want it).
 
the thing is it isnt putting a hole in my pocket, I just had a few extra dollars so I thought Id get something for eid (relgious holiday)

anyways, Im really leaning to the 6800U right now, because I dont have a floppy power connector.
 
arcanetripwire said:
There isn't a game on the market that a 9800PRO or 6800NU can't handle. Your card will only be the best for say another month, maybe two?
.



Yeah, but can a 980Pro play Doom3 at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF? NO! MY system gets around 30FPS in MOH:pA at 1600x1200 NO AA/16xAF. I pity the fool who tries those settings on a 9800Pro/6800NU.
The reason to get a highend card is so you CAN play at high res with AA/AF.
 
^^ EXACTLY!!!

anyways do you guys know if I can run the X800PRO flashed to an XT without the floppy connector? because I dont want to buy another floppy connector from ultra.

ultra x-connect :rolleyes:
 
GregP24 said:
Yeah, but can a 980Pro play Doom3 at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF? NO! MY system gets around 30FPS in MOH:pA at 1600x1200 NO AA/16xAF. I pity the fool who tries those settings on a 9800Pro/6800NU.
The reason to get a highend card is so you CAN play at high res with AA/AF.

Who turns AA and AF on Doom3 anyway, you still can't see shit. oh wow, the dark walls look much better lol.

But to each their own, and anyway, a 6800NU can do all of that too.
 
Get a 6800GT, save some bucks, and OC it to Ultra. You get like 99% of the performance and save some money. Win Win.
 
I HAVE a 6800GT, iit isnt OCing too far, even with the 1.4v mod.

I want something faster to match my 4000+
 
Ph0s5ph0L1p1D said:
I HAVE a 6800GT, iit isnt OCing too far, even with the 1.4v mod.

I want something faster to match my 4000+

Buy a 6800U, just dont put a slot blower under it ;)
 
its made by BFG its teh BFG 6800GT OC.

anyways Do you guys think I should buy the 6800ultra? im 5 minutes away from buying it.
the thing is Id REALLY like a BFG 6800Ultra, but I cant find one for 470 except on ebay!

My freind is buying my 6800gt.
 
I love having a 6800U, i went from a pci-e x800 pro to this. i cant believe i can use 8xsAA and 8XAF on EVERY SINGLE GAME. im so not used to this.
 
That 6800 Ultra @ $469 is a no brainer...grab it.


The only drawback is that its pretty loud.
 
The X800Pro VIVO mod isn't gauranteed and even if it did unlock the other pipelines, that doesn't mean it will run at X800XT speeds. Best bet is to get the Ultra or the 6800GT and overclock. The latter however, isn't guaranteed.
 
yea I have a 6800gt right now, but Id rather have an ultra, cause this one doesnt overclock too well.
 
Ph0s5ph0L1p1D said:
yea I have a 6800gt right now, but Id rather have an ultra, cause this one doesnt overclock too well.
Don't waste that much cash for a like 3% improvement man. Unless you can sell your GT. It's just not worth it, go take a girl out or something put your money to better use.
 
Ph0s5ph0L1p1D said:

Its not a floppy connector. Its a standard 12v molex connection. and YES its ABSOLUTELY needed.

The high-end cards suck more juice than the AGP connection can pass through the mobo. But its a standard molex like the kind you would plug up to a CD-rom/HDD, not the lethargic 3 1/2" floppy power.
 
if your on a budget but you want to play modern games as HL2 and doom3 and call of duty would the 6800NU do it at a decent resolution and fps??
-Appatula
 
6800 Ultra pretty loud? Mine is only loud on startup, otherwise after that it doesnt make much more noise than my X800 pro from before.
 
I would get the X800/X850 XT-PE if I was in your situation. You have NVIDIA's 2nd best, now try ATI's best.
Have you ever tried an ATI card before?
The reason I don't think you should get the Ultra is because it it bascially the same card with a bit of a peformance increase. The ATI card will have different 'style'.
 
Mojo said:
Get a 6800GT, save some bucks, and OC it to Ultra. You get like 99% of the performance and save some money. Win Win.

That's what I did. Some people just HAVE to HAVE a 2or 3% advantage over everybody else, and if it makes them happy, that's great. Personally, my 6800 PCI-E GT is only slightly overclocked and I haven't had a game bring it down yet. And hell yeah I have everything turned on (though often I turn off FSAA - for some reason it just looks weird and blurry to me, even at the highest level).
 
GregP24 said:
X800 XT's run about $450-475. I got mine from Monarch Computer for $460 shipped. It's a faster card than the 6800GT. XT's will easily do X850 speeds on the stock coolers. I'd go for one of those.

My UE is for sale, if you can swing another $60.

Just purchased one after your recomendation. I was waiting for NewEgg to get some in stock, but the CA sales tax was killing me and so this deal was perfect for me! Thanks. Cheapest place that has it in stock and is a VIVO that I could find.
 
Bullitt said:
Its not a floppy connector. Its a standard 12v molex connection. and YES its ABSOLUTELY needed.

The high-end cards suck more juice than the AGP connection can pass through the mobo. But its a standard molex like the kind you would plug up to a CD-rom/HDD, not the lethargic 3 1/2" floppy power.


he might be mistaken the yellow VIVO port for a floppy connector.. but ya.. you dont want to plug a power cable in that . i cant imagine what it might do to it :D
 
biohazard_nz said:
I would get the X800/X850 XT-PE if I was in your situation. You have NVIDIA's 2nd best, now try ATI's best.
Have you ever tried an ATI card before?
The reason I don't think you should get the Ultra is because it it bascially the same card with a bit of a peformance increase. The ATI card will have different 'style'.


Yea thats EXACTLY what I want to do. Im gonna get another 40 dollars by teh end of the week and Ill end up with 510 or something, and I think Im going to get teh x800xt-pe if I can, or an x800pro flashed to xt-pe.

and the thing Im talking about is this

14-102-422-02.jpg



WTF is that thing that one I circled. isnt that a floppy power connector?
 
Back
Top