4690t

a3venom

Gawd
Hi,
i might get a 4690t for gaming, with a gtx 970.
i have an i3 currently, the 4690t is being sold by someone 130$ cheaper than the 4690k

is it going to be nice enough for gaming at 3.5ghz turbo?
or 4460 will perform better?
my motherboard doesnt oc
canadian currency

Nope I think Isn't going to be nice as a gaming processor, that processor can and may only hit the max turbo clock in single threaded load scenarios.. and IIRC it just turbo to 2.8 - 3.0ghz under 4 cores load I think...

How about you just get a full TDP quad-core? They don't use all the much more power than the Core i3 (83w versus 54w).

These S (65w) and T (45w) Core i5 chips use less power, and will be unable to sustain high multithreaded clock speeds. That means real-world performance won't be much higher than your Core i3.

The Core i5 S will not top 2.8 GHz with 4 cores loaded, and the T drops that down to 2.5 GHz. Your Core i3, so long as you didn't go with T, is 2 cores / 4 threads clocked at 3.3-3.7 GHz all the time.

I will say that if you must get a low-power core, the S is vastly superior to the T series...but again, you won't get full performance. You can't magically choose a "low power" product lline, and not expect them to downclock it to make that happen. MORE PERFORMANCE from the same chip architecture typically REQUIRES MORE POWER.

Last edited:
^ makes sense, not getting either one, will get a normal i5.
some guy was sellign those chips for $140 - $160 thats why i asked.
and i5s start at $230 here.

Oh, well if there's a $70-80 difference in both cases, then the S might be worth it. It's a lot closer to normal desktop performance than the T chips.

I originally wrote my post assuming you could get an i5 4590 at 3.3 GHz / 3.7 Turbo for around $190-200, like you can in most of the US:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=core_i5_haswell-_-19-116-991-_-Product

At retail, those S and T cores are exactly the same price as the above chip, but are clocked at 2.8 and 2.5 GHz respectively to achieve their 65w and 45w TDPs. This is why I reacted so negatively against them: at their normal retail price, they're a waste of money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116953

Last edited:
in this time i found a 4690k 100$ cheaper than the normal price of 299 in canada.

i hope i can grab it this weekend.

can that be overclocked using a h81 [gigabyte] though?, i know some h81 boards oc the pentium 3258 up to 4.4

i would be happy with a + 200mhz too, dont see the point spending 80$ extra for a nicer mobo, clock speed wont matter in gaming anyways

I'd go for the 4690S, normal 4690, or even the 4690K and undervolt them. If it makes sense money wise to buy the 4690K, you could always underclock/undervolt yourself. That's if your mobo supports it.

Back