45TDP chips @ newegg

awoeonip

Weaksauce
I noticed the 4050e and 4450e chips are now available at newegg. I'm having a hard time finding reviews/benchmarks for them. Is a 4450e comparable to a 4400+? Is there any difference other than the TDP rating? I am currently building an HTPC, do people think the $15 price premium for the energy efficient chips is worth it?

Quick Google search suggests that the chips are more or less comparable, with the primary difference being the TDP.

IMO, it is worth the extra cost for a lower power chip to a point. If the case you're using supports relatively high power CPUs (> 95W), you probably won't notice much of a difference if you used a cheaper 65W processor instead of a 45W processor. If you're more open to using much smaller form factor cases, you would probably have more flexibility in smaller case choices by going with a lower power processor.

I've crammed 65W X2 chips in pretty small form factor cases without problems and now I have a couple of 65W processors running in picoBTX cases (AOpen B200).

Back