45nm laptops?

tony27310

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
114
hey im wondering if anyone can give me a list of laptops that support the new 45nm intel chips, or anywhere i can get one, not sure on the budget but probably around 1200-1500 max. decent graphics too, no integrated.
 
The low end T8100 should be seen pretty soon in retailers such as Best Buy. You can find some online but not for $1500.

I've seen an IBM X61 and some Toshiba for around $1700.

The higher end X9000 should follow suit probably not too long after the T8100.
 
the new cpus will offer higher clock and more cache as well as newer aqrchitecture. they will not offer too much improvement over existing T7xxx series cpus. the big improvement will be in the new chipset which should hit mid-late 2008 from intel. dont expect T9xxx mobile cpus to land in any abundance until late q1.
 
Power usage should be quite a bit lower as well thanks to the new transistor design. That would be the main draw for laptop users.
 
Relating to this topic,
does anyone know when HP might start updating their business line of laptops?
 
hey im wondering if anyone can give me a list of laptops that support the new 45nm intel chips, or anywhere i can get one, not sure on the budget but probably around 1200-1500 max. decent graphics too, no integrated.

Check XoticPC for the Sager 5792. They offer the T8000 and T9000 series "Penryn" chips along with the new nVidia 8800m GTX.
 
I looked at that one - bumping to the 8800m and 4 gigs of RAM with Vista64 installed and a decent hard drive bumped the price to $2500.

Kinda disappointing.
 
I looked at that one - bumping to the 8800m and 4 gigs of RAM with Vista64 installed and a decent hard drive bumped the price to $2500.

Kinda disappointing.
The 8800M is an expensive option, no doubt about it. Then again, it's the fastest laptop video option available. Dell will happily bend you over with a $3000 XPS with a 128-bit 8700M since they have no 8800M's and no Penryn.

I recently ordered a Sager 5792 with 2.5Ghz Penryn, 4GB RAM and 8800M for about $2400, it should be here next week. I was able to shave off a few bucks since I have a 200GB 7200RPM drive for it already and XP64 (or Vista64, I haven't decided yet). It will be my first non-Dell laptop in several years.. I'm scared. Tho Dell screwed me over on my warranty for my current laptop, which prompted my immediate desertion.
 
I recently ordered a Sager 5792 with 2.5Ghz Penryn, 4GB RAM and 8800M for about $2400, it should be here next week. I was able to shave off a few bucks since I have a 200GB 7200RPM drive for it already and XP64 (or Vista64, I haven't decided yet). It will be my first non-Dell laptop in several years.. I'm scared. Tho Dell screwed me over on my warranty for my current laptop, which prompted my immediate desertion.

I've been looking around at various gaming laptops, including this exact setup. I keep waiting for the m17x to be released, but I need a notebook soon and don't really want to "settle" for the 15.4" m15x, but I'm still debating it or the 5792 as described above. Decisions, decisions :confused:
 
The 8800M is an expensive option, no doubt about it. Then again, it's the fastest laptop video option available. Dell will happily bend you over with a $3000 XPS with a 128-bit 8700M since they have no 8800M's and no Penryn.

I recently ordered a Sager 5792 with 2.5Ghz Penryn, 4GB RAM and 8800M for about $2400, it should be here next week. I was able to shave off a few bucks since I have a 200GB 7200RPM drive for it already and XP64 (or Vista64, I haven't decided yet). It will be my first non-Dell laptop in several years.. I'm scared. Tho Dell screwed me over on my warranty for my current laptop, which prompted my immediate desertion.

Curious, how did Dell screw you over on your warranty for the current laptop you have? I'm waiting for a 45nm based laptop for my wife and Dell is on my list to check out once they have some 45nm laptops available. So any feedback you can give would be great.
 
I called support to report garbage characters and graphics on my E1705, and it wouldn't boot any OS I tried. The following things, according to the support person, voided my warranty:

- Not using the OS it came with
- Re-partitioning the original hard drive - I removed the diagnostic partition
- Replacing the drive with a different one

I never could imagine that removing a SATA hard drive could void a warranty. She even went as far as to say that removing it "damaged the system board" when the diagnostics we ran from BIOS said nothing was wrong. (note: I replaced the 7900GS Go with a 7950GTX Go and it's working fine now)
 
The following things, according to the support person, voided my warranty:

- Not using the OS it came with
- Re-partitioning the original hard drive - I removed the diagnostic partition
- Replacing the drive with a different one

I would call back and try to get a different rep. I don't think they're even allowed to void your warranty for doing those types of things.
 
Back
Top