• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4400+ retail heatsink question

rf101

n00b
Joined
Jul 11, 2003
Messages
12
Just to preface, I think my google and forum search powers failed me.

Anyway, how well does the retail hsf on the 4400s perform? I recently received mine and realized the stock cooler was of much higher quality than I had expected. I bought a zalman 7700b-cu thinking that it would run cooler and quiter. However, after plugging them both into the mobo with no controller, the retail hsf seems to run quiter. Of course, I may not be able to hear either over the video card. So how much of a difference should I see in their performance? At the moment, I have the zalman in place (warranty? what warranty?!) with artic silver 3 (oldschool!).
 
One more question.

How much paste should be placed on socket 939s? I know for older processors, the idea was to spread a grain of rice, however the newer chips have a larger area. So...3 grains of rice? In terms of thickness, I think I had a few pieces of paper over the entire chip.
 
Just make sure there is enough to have a semi-transparent layer. It only has to fill in the tiny tiny almost microscopic gaps between the two surfaces.

With compound usually less is more.
 
Just take a look at the link below for a 'what not to do guide'.

Essentially if you are not overclocking and the stock cooler is quieter and gives reasonable temps then stick with it. The stock coolers are of pretty reasonable quality.

http://www.dau-alarm.de/g_cpu5.html
 
Back
Top