4400+ or 4600+, which is better for ocing

Chilly

[H]ard|Gawd
I am able to get both of them for the same price ($300 CND) which would be better to get for overclocking? I need to know quick as I need to order it soon or lose the deal on the 4400+

bump.

im in the same boat, torn between 4400+ and 4600+. Information (especially on OC) is scarce for the 4600+, while hte 4400+ seems to be pretty well recieved. Based on teh [H] OC database, and from what I gather around the internet, 2.6-2.7GHz seems to be the sweetspot for 4400+ CPUs. Keep in mind, the 4400+ has double the cache than the 4600+ too.

Any more suggestions?

Are Opty's out of the question for you two? They're the best OCer's and the 165 is pretty cheap, considering a good one can do FX60 speeds.

holli4pirating said:
Are Opty's out of the question for you two? They're the best OCer's and the 165 is pretty cheap, considering a good one can do FX60 speeds.
Well, its $60 more expensive, and all it has is a 9x multiplier. with my current mobo, I can really only go up to 245, which would make that opty sit at 2.2GHz, not worth $310, when I can get 2.2GHz and 2x1MB cache with a 4400+ stock! Then 245x11 is 2695 MHz...not too shabby.

holli4pirating said:
I see. Well if you're limited on OC by the mobo, what about the 4800 at monarch for $355
once again, the 4400+ will do the same speed for $250. That would be the chip I would buy if it werent soo expensive!

Oh wow, I hadn't realized that the 4400 was so much less. I didn't see that it's price had dropped so much.

no one has answered my question, which will overclock and perform more? like will the 4400 get to 2.6 before giving up, and the 4600 up to 2.8, or vice versa?

Chilly said:
no one has answered my question, which will overclock and perform more? like will the 4400 get to 2.6 before giving up, and the 4600 up to 2.8, or vice versa?
as i said, there is almost no data out there on a 4600+. They just seem to be unpopular compared to teh 4400+. Im sure that now that the price dropped, we will see them more freequently, but at this point their OCability remains to be seen.

And again, as I allready said, the 4400+ seems to have no trouble getting between 2.6 and 2.7 GHz.

X2.png

(eclipse forgive me for the hotlink, i figgured you wouldnt mind since it came right out of the A64 OC data thread)

holli4pirating said:
Oh wow, I hadn't realized that the 4400 was so much less. I didn't see that it's price had dropped so much.
oh yea, all the X2's have dropped. You can get a 393 3800+ X2 for $150!! Thats what I paid for my 3000+ a little more than a year ago!!

my 4400+ does 2.8Ghz at 1.6Vcore and tops out at 2.86Ghz with 1.65Vcore.

Seems like it would do about 2.75Ghz on air with acceptable Vcore. Never really tried.

And for those of you that think that the Vcore is too high I havent run this chip under 1.6Vcore in over a year. I got it in june of last year and ran it hard since then. Looks like the 90nm process isnt as damaged my Vcore as most thought.

turtletrax said:
my 4400+ does 2.8Ghz at 1.6Vcore and tops out at 2.86Ghz with 1.65Vcore.

Seems like it would do about 2.75Ghz on air with acceptable Vcore. Never really tried.

And for those of you that think that the Vcore is too high I havent run this chip under 1.6Vcore in over a year. I got it in june of last year and ran it hard since then. Looks like the 90nm process isnt as damaged my Vcore as most thought.
i'd personally stop at 1.55v (im on air), but 1.6 isnt that unreasonable, especially for H2O.

For air/water cooling, it'll make no difference; get the 4400, since the extra cache will be beneficial at the same frequencies. For anything more, though, you'll be better off with the 4600. All of the 2x1MB memory controllers are cold-bugged, some as high as 10C. The 2x512KB are also, mostly, but the LDBHE and CDBHE steppings are actually quite impressive. Some of them are good all the way down to phase cooling, like OPB's record 4600 @ 3.65GHz! :eek:

HighwayAssassins said:
(eclipse forgive me for the hotlink, i figgured you wouldnt mind since it came right out of the A64 OC data thread)
:cool:

i'm gonna have to start working on a layout for a revG oc'ing thread :eek: :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
:cool:

i'm gonna have to start working on a layout for a revG oc'ing thread :eek: :D
you got some time. ;)

Do you think we will see benefits the same scale as we saw from 130nm to 90nm?

i'm hoping for better.. 130 -> 90nm wasn't spectacular.. best 130nm was topping out around 2.9-3ghz, best 90nm tops out around 3.1-3.2ghz

edit: though before anyone bashes me.. the average overclock has gone up a lot :D

HighwayAssassins said:
once again, the 4400+ will do the same speed for $250. That would be the chip I would buy if it werent soo expensive!
That certainly is an enticing prices even for us cheap bastards

Back