420gb! Cools things to do with it?

ffactoryxx

Limp Gawd
Ok well i finally installed mt 300gb Main 16mb Maxtor, move my 120gb 2mb Maxtor to slave abnd yanked my 40gb. Now i have 420 gb. How should i arrange things, partition, etc?

I have about 40gb of Music, i guess i could put them on slave. I backup dvds but i rip encode burn then delete. Could i make iso's of all my games?? I havent followed ripping procedures on games in a while and am not sure if i can rip them 1:1 because of copy protection. Anything cool things that i could throw on here I down with.

Taking suggestions

congrats on the uber upgrade.

things i do with my 280gb of space

4 partitions>> one for music, one for ISOs, one for videos (and ripping DVDs) and one for pictures/documents or whatever else i have

then i have my OS's and installed stuff on a separate 80gb hard drive.

i might be adding another 200gb to mine and getting rid of the 80gb, but i am not really sure.

as for making ISOs of games you legally own i would recomend using winiso. just pop the game in, start win iso and click make iso from cd rom and choose an output location.

have fun with all that space

winiso will rip through all cd protections??????
I havent ripped in years and remmember some of these programs having problems getting over copy protection

I currently have 2x200 gig SATA Seagates and 2 250 gig PATA Maxtors in my machine.

With my 800+ gigs, I use each disk as a single disk. I wanted each drive to be used different

1 200 has 2 partitions, 1 is 30 gigs (OS) and 1 is 150+ (DATA and applications)

the other 200 is for game installations nothing else.

1 250 has about 50 gigs of music, and 150 gigs of movies

and the last 250 has nothing but virtual games and applications in .ISO, .CUE/.BIN, and of course .MDS/.MDF.

I use Alcohol 120% and rip every game I have. I stick the virtual copies in folders with a text document with the serial key. Makes it dead easy to reinstall or to go to another game.

Currently I keep 5 virtual cd-roms enabled so I can have HL2, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Need for Speed Underground 2 and some movie loaded.

Glad I checked out this thread. I recently acquired a Seagate 200GB HD to go along with my WD 120GB. I should be ordering an external enclosure for the Seagate from newegg.com today (I have a Shuttle and don't want the extra heat inside). I'm still unsure what do do. I'm really tempted to erase my 120GB and start over but I don't think that's the best idea. It is currently partitoned into 4 sections C: for the OS, E: for Programs and Games, F: for Music, and G: for random crap.

so what do you think about os and other partitions?
BTW if i part a 300 say 30os and 270 everything else can i install games on the 270 and it will correctly install registry keys and all on the 30gb partition

ffactoryxx said:
so what do you think about os and other partitions?
BTW if i part a 300 say 30os and 270 everything else can i install games on the 270 and it will correctly install registry keys and all on the 30gb partition
well, 300GB.... 30GB Os is fine. leaves plenty of bloatware room.

make a games partition- 135GB, make a media folder for other items 135GB. a 270 gb partition is annoyingly too big.

Make a Ghost image of your system partition, its alot faster than a windows install. But its best to do a clean fresh format before you do it.

Yeah since you are really talking about 300 gigs of storage, I would go

1. C: 30 Gig OS
2. E: 100 Gigs of Application Installs
3. F: 150+ Gigs of Apps and virtual Image storage
4: G: (120 Gig drive) Ghost Image of my base install (OS, Office, Dev Tools, Games I can't live without)

Ghost takes whats called a snapshot of the drive, and compresses it, pretty much makes an ISO of a partition. What you can then do with it is that if you decide to reformat, you throw in a ghost floppy, and select the image (obviously has to be on a seperate partition) and it just uncompresses the data and dumps it onto the partition of your choosing in about 10 - 30 min depending on the size of the image.

what about the pr0n? seriously though... i got an old system. 1 10gig wd hard drive has my os (and all associated with it), and crap that loads up on startup. then i have a 90 which is the dump. i got my music, iso's and all other programs.

My current setup -

C: Boot drive & Games
D: Audio
E: Video
F: Downloads and backups of apps, drivers, etc.

If I put in another drive, I'd probably use it for PVR capture and timeshifting. :)

I currently have 7 drives in my gaming/storage machine and haven't partitioned any of them. I used to break them up all nice and have music on one partition, games on another, etc. But, then a bunch of games would come out and I would fill up my game partition, yet have 10 GB left on the music and have to use partition magic to change the sizes a bit. That got old really quick and now I just use one big partition and just break it up by folders within the partition. If you really need a drive letter, you can just share your folder and network map to it for whatever letter you want. Just my .02.

Vlad

now do you install apps on the 30gb os partition or just leave as is and install on the apps partition

Ok to clarify what is being asked about installing to non-default drives....

The applications and games (in general) don't care what drive you install to and run from. Personally I install all my games to an external hard drive and run from that (laptop HDD is kind of small). It works fine.

It is not a bad idea to have a separate OS partition but having a bunch of other random partitions is really up to the user. It is my understanding that the NTFS file system deals with larger volumes much more gracefully than FAT32.

If you install XP to a nonstandard partition will programs still default to C:\ ?

zachary80 said:
If you install XP to a nonstandard partition will programs still default to C:\ ?

Some do and some don't. It depends on weather or not the installer for the program detects the system partition or just defaults to C:.

For example, with Photoshop if you do a silent install if defaults to C:\program files\Adobe\Photochop.
But if you do a standard in stall it defaults to %systemdrive%\program files\Adobe\Photoshop. Where "%systemdrive%" is replaced with the system partition.

Back