• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

4200 versus 5450

dp_ludwig

n00b
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
5
So I mail ordered a new machine with integrated Radeon 4200 video chipset. Also bought a Radeon 5450 video card for HTPC purposes (it includes an HDMI port).

Alas the integrated video has a DVI and VGA (but no HDMI) port. Yeah I know - the specs only advertise a VGA port thanks HP.

Should I keep the 5450 card or return it? Seems like it's not much of a jump between the 4200 and 5450. Anyone know better as far as the difference in feature and performance between the two?
 
So I mail ordered a new machine with integrated Radeon 4200 video chipset. Also bought a Radeon 5450 video card for HTPC purposes (it includes an HDMI port).

Alas the integrated video has a DVI and VGA (but no HDMI) port. Yeah I know - the specs only advertise a VGA port thanks HP.

Should I keep the 5450 card or return it? Seems like it's not much of a jump between the 4200 and 5450. Anyone know better as far as the difference in feature and performance between the two?

If you need the HDMI port, then return the 5450 and get something that does have one.
 
Yeah, return the 5450, since it doesn't have an hdmi port, and get either a 5450 with hdmi, or upgrade to one of the 5570's... sadly prices suck cause of lack of competition
 
Hey, I think ya both got the thread wrong. His mb doesn't have hdmi whereas the 5450 does.

Anyways, all of the HD 5xxx class of cards can do bitstreaming thru hdmi which is the whole point if you're putting in a blueray drive in a htpc setup.
 
okay thanks

i guess there are some benefits 1) an HDMI port since the mobo only has a DVI port and 2) u can run the audio through the HDMI and you don't have to run extra cables for audio if you get your video from the DVI port. and 3) i guess there is some more RAM since the video card adds 512MB and uses the main RAM less and 4) bitstreaming

and i got the 5450 for the same price as an upgrade from 4200 to 4350 card from HP, so i guess it's not all bad..

blah i guess i'll keep it
 
HD audio bitstreaming on the HD5450 ( TrueHD / DTS-HD MA ) vs LPCM audio on the 4200
 
Back
Top