42" plasma??

kelvin

n00b
I've just got a 42" Hitachi 42HDT50. I'd like to hook up my computer to it. The tv has an ANALOG input and some of the recommended input signals are:

VGA: 640x480
VESA: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024
1080i: 1080
720p: 720
480p: 480

To my understanding the output of my videocards will only be VGA, so that would mean I can only set my vid cards to output 640x480, right?? The thing is my settings on my present monitor has no option for 640x480. How do i get my comp to output 640x480??
Or is there another way to do this?
Specs in my sig and both on XP.

GO LW!!!!

According to the Hitachi web site you can connect via Analog DSub. What I find intriguing is the DVI-HDTV. Is this a regular DVI or something different?

Anyway you should be able to do VGA and VESA modes via DSub.

I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma that I routinely connect computers to via its VGA input.

You can set your videocard to output any resolution it's capable of (e.g., 1920x1080 for 1080p, or 1280x720 for 720p). You should use a tool like PowerStrip (google for it) to help you set these resolutions.

I think you're getting confused between the 15-pin D-sub connector, commonly referred to as a "VGA" connector, and the resolution 640x480, also referred to as "VGA" resolution (as opposed to XGA, UXGA, etc.).

DVI-HDTV is the same as DVI-I (or analog DVI), as opposed to DVI-D. However, if your TV's DVI input is DHMI/HDCP enabled, it will not display a signal via DVI that does not include the appropriate encryption handshake (thank you, MPAA, for ruining DVI for us).

Originally posted by skritch
DVI-HDTV is the same as DVI-I (or analog DVI), as opposed to DVI-D. However, if your TV's DVI input is DHMI/HDCP enabled, it will not display a signal via DVI that does not include the appropriate encryption handshake (thank you, MPAA, for ruining DVI for us).

Ah.... Then kelvin won't be able to use the DVI connection. According to the manual posted on Hitachi's site it specifically mentions digital and encrypted content. Fortunately they supply the DSUB cable though.

Originally posted by kmeson
Ah.... Then kelvin won't be able to use the DVI connection. According to the manual posted on Hitachi's site it specifically mentions digital and encrypted content. Fortunately they supply the DSUB cable though.

Actually, I worded that a little too strongly. It may or may not display a non-HDCP signal. Some will, some won't. Right now, it seems to vary from vendor to vendor. If it was an HDCP source sent to a non-HDCP display device, the answer would be clear: the source would refuse to allow the signal to be displayed. But in this, opposite situation, it could show up, or it could not.

HDCP is yet another stupid power grab by the MPAA, and it infuriates me, as the owner of a very, very expensive ($6000) non-HDCP-compliant high-def plasma. I refuse to buy any equipment that supports HDCP, particularly since the DMCA makes producing a device that allows compatibility between my plasma and any HDCP-enabled device.

Nothing against hardforum but there are way better forums than this one for tvs. I know you can use the dvi on most tvs with your gfx card you just have to configure it to use the right frequencies. Other than that I don't really know that much about it. I looked it up about a year back because I was considering a hdtv purchase but never got a job and now i'm in gradschool, so money is tight.

Anyways you might want to check out this thread on avs forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=206854 . It mentions radeon cards with 1080i hdtvs. I'm not sure on your exact config but this should give you a good starting point. The avs forum is a great place for questions about tvs and stuff. Just like people on hardocp are computer junkies, people over there are home theater buffs.

Thanks so much for the help!! I got one of my comps up and running on it and it was pretty much plug and play. Had to play with some settings to get the screen to look right but other than that it was easy. I hooked up my ti4400 dvi out to the screen rgb input with a dvi to hd15 adapter. Pretty much any resolution I throw at it it works. The TV can auto adjust so that made it simple.

The only problem is the fonts are a little fuzzy. Anyway to get it clearer??

Anyways, am I happy with it??? HELL YEAH!!!OMG! The screen is so sweet playing games.

Originally posted by kelvin
Thanks so much for the help!! I got one of my comps up and running on it and it was pretty much plug and play. Had to play with some settings to get the screen to look right but other than that it was easy. I hooked up my ti4400 dvi out to the screen rgb input with a dvi to hd15 adapter. Pretty much any resolution I throw at it it works. The TV can auto adjust so that made it simple.

The only problem is the fonts are a little fuzzy. Anyway to get it clearer??

Anyways, am I happy with it??? HELL YEAH!!!OMG! The screen is so sweet playing games.

Run at the set's native resolution (should be listed as "max resolution" in the set specs), and turn on ClearType in Windows.

You may also want to disable the tv's scaler, if you have that option in your tv's menus. Though if you're sending it native resolution, the scaler won't be doing anything.

I am only able to set 1024x768 or 1280x1024 on my sony plasma. For some reason it won't display 1280x720 when I set that it says for resolution "others" and squishes it in the middle.

Originally posted by badash
I am only able to set 1024x768 or 1280x1024 on my sony plasma. For some reason it won't display 1280x720 when I set that it says for resolution "others" and squishes it in the middle.

Are you using powerstrip? If not, you should.

I hate running powerstrip in the background cuz i hate having background tasks, but i will try it again ahvent used it in a couple years. Any other way to do it without running something in the background? If their was a true .inf for the plasmas that would help. What about making custom .infs? I think I tried it before but I don't remember what happened.

Back