411.70 appears to add FreeSync support

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
Update 9/30/18 3:22 AM: After further research and the collection of more high-speed camera footage from our G-Sync displays, I believe the tear-free gameplay we're experiencing on our FreeSync displays in combination with GeForces is a consequence of Windows 10's Desktop Window Manager adding some form of Vsync to the proceedings when games are in borderless windowed mode, rather than any form of VESA Adapative-Sync being engaged with our GeForce cards. Pending a response from Nvidia as to just what we're experiencing, I'd warn against drawing any conclusions from our observations at this time and sincerely apologize for any misleading conclusions we've presented in our original article. The original piece continues below for posterity.

https://techreport.com/blog/34136/g...-begin-playing-nice-with-tr-freesync-monitors

It all started with a red light. You see, the primary FreeSync display in the TR labs, an Eizo Foris FS2735, has a handy multi-color power LED that flips over to red when a FreeSync-compatible graphics card is connected. I was setting up a test rig today for reasons unrelated to graphics-card testing, and in the process, I grabbed our GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition without a second thought, dropped it into a PCIe slot, and hooked it up to that monitor.

The red light came on.

At that point, I got real curious. I fired up Rise of the Tomb Raider and found myself walking through the game's Geothermal Valley level with nary a tear to be seen.
I fully expect that its root cause will be found and patched out shortly—presuming this is a thing to begin with and we're not totally barking up a nonexistent tree. My best guess is that involving Windows 10's Desktop Window Manager by using non-exclusive fullscreen mode in the games we tested is somehow triggering VRR with our FreeSync monitors, whereas handing exclusive control to games disables whatever is letting our cards give marching orders to those displays.

User reports:
one
two
three
four
five

Last edited:
Hmm time to update driver and see if this works on my Korean freesync TV. Somehow I am skeptical of the news.

I tested out my gtx1080 with this driver and my Samsung free sync capable CF791 monitor. Didn't work for me

This driver fucked running on my 4k120 monitor with 1990s era insane tearing even on the desktop, just moving a file window around made me want to vomit, had to rollback to 399whatever.

The Windows compositor does triple buffered V-Sync in windowed applications, including borderless fullscreen. Sounds like this was either poorly researched by TechReport, or they were peddling in clickbait. I'm going to assume the former, as Hanlon's Razor explains: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Back