ashrafi

n00b
I have build a media Server with following specifications,
Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3h motherboard
Processor i5 680
Dell Perc 6i Raid Card
Chenbro Expander
20 * 2Tb Western Digital Caviar Green in Raid 6 configuration

I have set Intellipark to 300secs as discussed on some forums , After installing Server 2008 R2 I transferred 3.4Tb data on the raid setup and it took 3 days . (The maximum speed reached is 30Mbps).I have set the cache block size to 512mb . I believe the speed if extremely slow , I made sure the raid card was installed in the x16 pcie slot , I might be missing something , how can I increase the performance of this media server or is it bottle neck due to hardware itself.

That's a lot of disks for a PERC 6i in RAID 6.

*Do you have write cache the controller on? You'll have to force it when used without a BBU.
*Are your drives timing out and the array stuck rebuilding? I believe those drives have timeout issues when used in RAID and TLER cannot be disabled.

You also may have better luck if this was moved to the storage subforum.

I second the TLER and RAID problems with those drives. I sent mine back because of it.

I third the idea the TLER....stay away from all WD consumer drives for anything RAID....I have a qnap 459pro+ that I was to populate with those...but everything I read says you can eventually expect a RAID failure.....so I am stuck running 2x2tb as single drives in my nas until I can jump on either some hitachi or samsungs....

Back