40GB SSD Drive and Windows Vista 64

Just installed Win7 64 with SP1 and all i've done so far is remove hibernation and im sitting at 23gigs of install. Not bad!!! :)

Just installed Win7 64 with SP1 and all i've done so far is remove hibernation and im sitting at 23gigs of install. Not bad!!! :)

Which means it's actually around 14GB (after dropping the page file) but would come down a bit more if you delete any potential System Restore points that might currently exist.

Still seems a bit high to me but, whatever... ;)

I'm sitting at 20.3 with Hibernation off, System Restore point off and older points deleted.

The command for cleaning up Sp1 didn't work for Win7 is there another? anything else I can do?

It's because the version you installed was already Windows 7 SP1 - there's nothing to clean up because the installation files were already SP1 versions. When you install the RTM version, and then apply SP1 to that, you end up with a shitload of duplicate files because the OS has to go through the process of backing up the original RTM ones, then replacing those with the SP1 versions, then making system restore points along the way. If you've got SP1 integrated installation media, none of that happens: the entire installation is SP1 from the gitgo.

Did you alter the page file? You haven't mentioned that yet, it should get you another ~7GB of space back if you drop it down to the 1GB static one that I keep mentioning, or smaller if that's your choice.

It's because the version you installed was already Windows 7 SP1 - there's nothing to clean up because the installation files were already SP1 versions. When you install the RTM version, and then apply SP1 to that, you end up with a shitload of duplicate files because the OS has to go through the process of backing up the original RTM ones, then replacing those with the SP1 versions, then making system restore points along the way. If you've got SP1 integrated installation media, none of that happens: the entire installation is SP1 from the gitgo.

Did you alter the page file? You haven't mentioned that yet, it should get you another ~7GB of space back if you drop it down to the 1GB static one that I keep mentioning, or smaller if that's your choice.
Yes to about 1.25gb

Back