4060 Ti SSD to Z490-i

honegod

[H]F Junkie
my current computer has a 1050ti which does anything I want.
but i have a desire to add SATA plugs to the 4 on the Z490-i.
the SSD in the 4060 Ti SSD would allows me to use me 5 more SATA plugs.

but i looked at asus and the 4060 Ti SSD is only on the last couple types motherboards, NOT my older unit.

is it true that new video cards are useless in older motherboards ?

is it true that new video cards are useless in older motherboards ?

No. Generally, newer GPU's are fine on older MB's.

But in this very specific situation, maybe. The reason is the m.2 slot on this video card. It requires the slot for the GPU to share bandwidth correctly with the GPU and other m.2 slots on the MB. So, ASUS is not guaranteeing it will work correctly on every MB and provided a list of known MB's from their lineup that will work.

I have the ASUS 390-i and 590-i. I was disappointed with the m.2 setup on the 590-i as it required an 11th Gen intel CPU to use one of the m.2 slots. I used it for a 10th Gen over/under dual system build and was unable to use the second m.2 slot. If I'd known that prior to purchase I would have opted for something different. But, by the time I was able to add a second m.2 nvme, it was too late. My guess is that either of those two MB's would not work with the m.2 on this GPU correctly or I may lose some capability with other parts of the MB. I'd have to really read through the info on the MB's to determine.

So, reach out to ASUS - maybe they can tell you definitively. If you proceed, purchase with a company that has a very easy return policy and test it right away.

Back