• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

400W enough for a short time?

Sinister_kid

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
182
I have been trying to determine whether my power supply is actually dead or not. Unfortunately I don't have another "high power" power supply to throw into my computer in order to test to see if the power supply is actually bad or not. My friend has a 400W power supply which he is willing to lend me in order to test my computer and see if it'll run properly. I have had a few different "power calculators" tell me different numbers so I want to be sure.

So my question being, will the 400w psu be enough to run my basic rig? That being only the mobo/cpu, ram, hdd, and gfx?

Specs:
ASUS Crosshair RoG
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+
OCZ 2gb (2x1gb)
Single SATA 320gb HDD
EvGA GTS450 1gb

Thanks, the help is greatly appreciated!
 
A quality 400w is enough power to run that rig for many years with no worry.

What 400w power supply do you have?
 
To test to see if every thing works that psu will work fine It shouldn't blow up unless its a pos
 
I've been running my home theater on a corsair 400w

AMD Phenom 720 x3
4gb ddr2
and a radeon 5770

as Ocellaris said if you have a good 400w, you have absolutely no worries.
 
as above mentioned, a decent 400W can power a system with a GTS 450 with no problems.
 
What would you guys say are some "decent" brands for power supplies? Of course, corsair and antec I know are pretty good, but what are some other ones? OCZ?
 
Wow, no one replied?

I don't know offhand about OCZ, I believe some of their psus are alright and some are just...bad.

Pretty much anything Corsair should be good.
I know that at least Antec's Earthwatts line is really good.
And Seasonic is solid.

That is, if it evens still matters. :D
 
Just so you know HP, Dell, Apple only has a 400 watt PSU on their latest computers.
 
What would you guys say are some "decent" brands for power supplies? Of course, corsair and antec I know are pretty good, but what are some other ones? OCZ?

FSP had the lowest failure rate amongst all manufacturers a few years ago. I'm assuming they're still up there.
 
Just so you know HP, Dell, Apple only has a 400 watt PSU on their latest computers.

At work we just purchased a lenovo i7 2600 system with 8 GB of ram and an ATI discrete video card and that came with a 250W supply. To upgrade the graphics to a quadro I swapped that out with at 500W antec.
 
What would you guys say are some "decent" brands for power supplies? Of course, corsair and antec I know are pretty good, but what are some other ones? OCZ?
OCZ has some good models and some not so great models. Most of their current lineup is decent. Seasonic, XFX, Kingwin, NZXT, Enermax, Silverstone, and Sparkle (the video card one) are other good brands.
Just so you know HP, Dell, Apple only has a 400 watt PSU on their latest computers.
Large OEMs generally using PSUs in the range of 200-500W, because anything more than that is totally unnecessary for any system with a single or integrated GPU.
FSP had the lowest failure rate amongst all manufacturers a few years ago. I'm assuming they're still up there.
Not really. FSP makes budget PSUs and they range from cheap junk to decent.
 
For that kind of computer I would use any cheap 400+ watt ps. 450 would be good for that and a 80$ 650w would allow room to upgrade.
 
OCZ has some good models and some not so great models. Most of their current lineup is decent. Seasonic, XFX, Kingwin, NZXT, Enermax, Silverstone, and Sparkle (the video card one) are other good brands.

Large OEMs generally using PSUs in the range of 200-500W, because anything more than that is totally unnecessary for any system with a single or integrated GPU.

Not really. FSP makes budget PSUs and they range from cheap junk to decent.

Sparkle Psus are Enermax rebranded psus
 
Do you know what model 400w PSU it is? If it's something like a dirt cheap "400w" that came free with a $30 generic case, then no. If it's actually a 400w PSU, then it will be fine.

Don't go by brand for PSUs. There's only two (afaik) companies that actually makes and sells their PSUs, and they're FSP and Seasonic. Everyone else selling PSUs is selling ones based on other manufacturers, where they are just branding it themselves. Just like how GM, Ford, and Chrysler used to have like three or four different model cars that were all pretty much the same car with minor details changed. However, with power supplies, the companies selling them don't get all of their power supplies from the same manufacturers. Some models will be from one, some models from another. OCZ, for instance, has some really terrible lines, and some decent lines. We can't say "OCZ sucks" or "OCZ rules", but we can say "The OCZ DerpXStream 750w is garbage" or "The OCZ StealthXStream 400w is pretty good for the money". Antec is another company that has sold some really great and some really terrible PSUs. Judge PSUs based on reviews of that specific model, not on reviews of the brand.
 
There's only two (afaik) companies that actually makes and sells their PSUs, and they're FSP and Seasonic.
Your knowledge is very incomplete. There are many other companies who manufacture PSUs and sell them under their own names.
 
Your knowledge is very incomplete. There are many other companies who manufacture PSUs and sell them under their own names.

I guess what I mean is that most of the popular brands on this forum (Antec, Silverstone, Corsair, Enermax, Thermaltake, XFX, Coolermaster, OCZ, PCP&C, NZXT, Sparkle, and maybe a few others) all use PSUs from another manufacturer.
 
Back
Top