400sc PSU Upgrade Questions

HFrook

n00b
Hello, I recently purchased a HD3850 with recommendations from members on this forum that it would suit my dual dvi agp needs. (Photoshop Mainly) I have a 400sc with the default PSU that came with it, I know that they recommend at least 450w PSU so do I need to upgrade the PSU? Dell is known for underrating there PSU's but I don't want to risk it and fry anything.

If I do upgrade does anyone have experience with 400sc's and upgrading the PSU? What is the easiest way to find out which unit will fit this system? Thanks in advance.

A standard ATX 12v PSU will work, but there is not a cut out in the back of the case for a power switch, which most power suppies come with. Your choices are either to look for a model that lacks a rear power switch, or cut a hole in the back of the case for a power switch.

The HD3850 will probably work with the stock PSU, but it depends on what else you have in the system to know with more certainly.

Thank you for the reply. Right now I have the following in this system:

HD:Seagate 7200 200gb ATA
Optical:SH-s223F DVD RW
Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
3GB PC3200

Dell does underrate their PSU's. The 3850 does draw a fair bit of power though. You might be able to pull it off since the rest of the rig is kinda mild mannered if not.
Try This
or this

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks gonzo I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow morn. If by chance I need to order one of the PSUs that you listed, am I going to need to mod the case to make it fit do you know?

Back