$400-Need 4 bookshelf

Sphere

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
2,389
Hello everyone,

I'm going to retire my Z5500's and am wondering if I can get 4 bookshelf's that would sound better for my budget. This will eventually turn into a 5.1.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks
 
Energy Audio c-50's are 4.5" bookshelf speakers that are $70 a pair. Find the matching c-c50 center for like $80 and you have a decent setup for roughly $250. The energy 8" sub is $90 too.
 
Thanks Chris, would the eEnergy C100 be any better? and would I be achieving a better sound with those than the Z5500's?
 
It looks like there's two pair of ELT525Ms on b-stock at av123.com for $179/pair (x-ls sats and towers too, but no two pair with the same finish...).

Axiom M3s are about $100/pair too much.

The Energy sats are good quality, but I'd really like a bigger midwoofer. Good sub option for the size and budget (although not as good as when it was $80).

z5500s are *not* that hard to beat. They have 3" drivers in a little thin housing.
 
The c-100's would be a bit fuller on the low end and be a huge step up in quality over the logitechs. I have c-100's all up front and c50's in back on my tv. If you want to spend more i have the av123 etl525 bookshelfs on the computer for a 2.0 setup (with included gizmo amp) and they are definitely a bit better.
 
x-ls Monitor Classic: Wow!!!! Amazing price!!!

Only problem: He needs four, and there's one. Not one pair, one speaker. :(

I'd be all over the ELT towers by now if I could figure out where to PUT them...
 
Only problem: He needs four, and there's one. Not one pair, one speaker. :(

I'd be all over the ELT towers by now if I could figure out where to PUT them...

Meh, I would rather stick with my Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE for $350 a pair.
 
Possibly. Used gear is so useful a resource.

Still, we're talking towers vs. bookshelf monitors. A pair of tower front channels would be nice if I ever rearrange things so that I have the space for a surround setup. Plus they match my ELT monitors. :D
 

Thank God you're not him.

And yes, used CMT-340 SE, but hey, if it works, it works. Also, five year warranty. One pair has gone through only half of that. The other still has four years.

Also, I would seriously consider getting those B-Stock ELT 525M and a multichannel amp. That would make you an uber sexy setup for surround and music.
 
Oh, also, there is a guy who is selling AV123 Credit at 5% off, so you can get 5% off those B-Stock which are already uber cheap. $360 for 2pr minus 5% discount = ~$340 + shipping

And if you can afford a little extra money, either buy two stereo amps or a multichannel amp and you're set!

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52733

Btw, anyone know the wattage and ohm rating of the ELT525M? I can help look for an amp or pair of amps.
 
Thanks guys,

The C100's are looking good, but I've been searching for the center channel and they're OOS everywhere. I don't know if it's being discontinued or what the deal is.

Just to reiterate, $400 max for 4 bookshelf's, any less than that will allow me to get a sub and center channel.
 
Sphere they are going to a new design so yes they are discontinued.

Ahh, well thank you :)

Edit:This is the receiver I'll be purchasing http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538499878- I can't seem to find if this has the 3 inputs for 5.1 analog, if anyone knows or has any other suggestions in the $300 price range , feel free to give me a holler. This set up will just be used for my pc. I chose the receiver because I can use it in analog 5.1 with my Prelude.
 
Link just takes us to vanns home page. Whats the make and model.

Sorry about that http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383371&pf_rd_i=507846

It does seem more than what I need. For me being out of the audio scene for about 15 years has sure has taken it's toll. I'm up for any suggestions if there is a better receiver in that price range. I could even do with an el'cheapo since I won't be relying on it's DAC. It's just been a challenge to find a unit that has the ability to do 5.1 analog.

I just want to do this right the first time, measure twice and cut once.

Even used equipment would be fine providing they were taken care of.

I appreciate your help Chris.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks decent, but really do you need something that expensive? You could always just get a used cheap one and use the optical inputs?
 
I sure don't need anything that expensive, all I need is a receiver that can do 5.1 analog, if you know of some cheaper ones, definitely send them my way. Going optical would be great, but then I'd lose 5.1 in games.
 
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-H...14981QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

This receiver not only looks great in person but the sound quality is beautiful.And dont be fooled by the watts this thing drives my speakers very well.But if you get one of those use its DAC it'll sound alot better than the prelude. I have heard the speaker set from EMP sounds very nice for the price.But just for some alternatives you might want to look at this place http://www.thespeakercompany.com/
Then there is always the beta 20s from infinity.You can get them from the infinity ebay store i linked for fairly cheap.Most of those choices is going to be a big step up from your z5500's.Its just about finding what you would like the best for the money.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks DoomD,

Looking at the back I can't tell if that will do 5.1 analog. If it does, that looks like the route for me to go, but it will be a deal breaker if I can't do 5.1 analog. If it wasn't for the damn games I'd go optical.
 
Looks like 7.1 actually. The 5.1 hookups are probably the ones that say front and surround, although maybe it's front and multi (read the manual before installing).
 
Thanks ashmedai,that's the answer I needed. I do have a question for you. On the Prelude I have one connection for front, rear, and sub. How does this translate for hooking it up to the receiver? Just by looking at it, I see the receiver has separate front and rear inputs, as in front-L, front-R, rear-L, rear-R.

Looks like that receiver and 4 of the Infinity beta 20's at this moment.
 
The 1/8" jacks on your sound card are stereo (gnd + 2); the RCA jacks on the receiver are mono (gnd + 1). Get a mini to 2xRCA cable for each pair of sats and hook them up to those 6ch jacks in the middle row. And the sub...eh, gotta look that part up still. Or if you have a powered sub you can connect that straight to the sound card.
 
Many thank you's-You guys have been a great help. After being out of the loop for so many years it's rough stepping back into it.
 
I just ordered a pair of the Dayton BR-1 bookshelf speakers for myself ($140 shipped).
I've been doing a lot of reading over the last few weeks and watching the price on this pair.

It is a kit, so you will have to assemble them and know how to use a soldering iron. But for the price, I don't think they can be beaten. They also have the best frequency response of any bookshelf speakers I've seen. 43 Hz - 18 kHz.
 
You're video card does ddl and dts in real time, so you actually don't lose surround sound...

I have a pretty cheap kenwood that if you went that route would work if you wanted to try it.
 
you lost me there :confused:
He's saying the B2s are not the speakers to go with and I gotta say I agree. I'm a big fan of the Klipsch Reference line, I have the RF-82s and the small RB-25s, but the B2s are not on the same level as the Reference line nor any of the speakers listed here.

To the OP, in that price range like I said, I like the Klipsch RB series and you can score major deals on the used market these days, but the Klipsch house sound is not loved by everyone so you'd probably want to audition before swinging for four of them. Another good option is the PSB Alpha B-1, great sound and good build quality make them a great value for the money. I've never heard the ELTs but they're supposed to sounds great for the money. AV123's speakers also offer unmatched build quality in this price range.
 
You're video card does ddl and dts in real time, so you actually don't lose surround sound...

I have a pretty cheap kenwood that if you went that route would work if you wanted to try it.

So, that would mean over optical I'd always have 5.1 in games?
 
He's saying the B2s are not the speakers to go with and I gotta say I agree. I'm a big fan of the Klipsch Reference line, I have the RF-82s and the small RB-25s, but the B2s are not on the same level as the Reference line nor any of the speakers listed here.

To the OP, in that price range like I said, I like the Klipsch RB series and you can score major deals on the used market these days, but the Klipsch house sound is not loved by everyone so you'd probably want to audition before swinging for four of them. Another good option is the PSB Alpha B-1, great sound and good build quality make them a great value for the money. I've never heard the ELTs but they're supposed to sounds great for the money. AV123's speakers also offer unmatched build quality in this price range.

i see. i've never heard the reference line so i wouldn't know.
 
Back
Top