$400-500 work screen

mkrohn

2[H]4U
I write code all day and I'm currently running dual U2414H's and I would prefer a singular large screen possibly with these two alongside.

What should I be looking at? 4k tv's? ultrawides?

I write code all day and I'm currently running dual U2414H's and I would prefer a singular large screen possibly with these two alongside.

What should I be looking at? 4k tv's? ultrawides?

Can't really say for monitors as I don't have a 4K monitor, but for TVs, make sure your video card can output HDMI 2.0a, so you can do 4:4:4 color at 4K 60Hz. Especially since you're coding, because 4:2:2 would give you blurry text, etc. This is important because TVs currently don't accept Displayport input unless going through an active adapter, which may introduce input lag. (while that might not be important to you for coding it may impact you if you plan to use the TV for gaming, etc.)

Look here: TVs : Best : By Usage

Click for PC monitors. Hope this info helps! Good luck.

As a coder the one feature that improved my productivity, far beyond any other, was the total number lines of code I could see at once. You will only get this with either portrait oriented standard monitors, like what you're doing currently, or using a 4K TV/monitor with its attendant 2160 vertical lines.

The second most important feature, like Flexion stated above, is the ability to produce 4:4:4 color for resolving text. Anything lower is headache inducing when looking at text all day long.

The third thing I found important was not having any color shift on different viewing angles. I started out with a 4K VA TV-as-monitor and the inability to clearly see colored text on the left and right sides of the monitor caused quite a bit of eye-strain. When I switched to IPS, that eye-strain went away.

The fourth thing, surprisingly, was latency/lag. At 4K, I whip my mouse across the screen a lot. The horrendous lag on my first monitor made precision mouse movements frustrating. My current TV-as-monitor has a very respectable 36ms latency, which is much better (though still not ideal).

The final thing to consider is a TV/monitor without PWM backlight dimming. You do not want to be staring into the equivalent of a lightbulb eight or more hours a day, so backlight dimming is a must. And if you're one of the many people sensitive to the rapid flicker of PWM dimming, you will be ending your day with headaches or red, itchy eyes, or both.

With the above criteria, the number of available 4K TVs or monitors in your price range become increasingly limited as you go down the list. If you're willing to take a chance on importing a monitor from Korea, the new Wasabi Mango Zen series (U400 and U430) ticks most of these boxes, although the DPI will be smaller than what you're used to on your U2424H's.

If importing is out of the question, Amazon Warehouse still has some pristine XBR-43X830C TVs for around $570. That where I got my now current XBR-49X830C TV-as-monitor that I absolutely love.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back