40 Million Point Goal/End

wings2004

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I haven't posted all that much on here but I think I'm going to start to ratchet back my folding once I hit the 40 Million point mark. I know it's rather arbitrary but my server has been sitting plugging away thanks to the help I've gotten from you guys for the last 4 months or so and I'm just realizing how much dedicated folding actually costs. Also I've recently picked up an electric plug in vehicle and in order to offset the energy costs of that I'm needing to save in other areas and this just seemed like the logical choice. It's been a great time, and I really enjoyed being a part of the community, and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, but I just can't sustain the output as I have for the past 3-4 months. I feel bad cutting off my support but when I looked at my kill-a-watt today and it told me my total cost was 257 dollars since inception, it just took me bit of a shock, since I really like donating something worthwhile to science but when I extrapolate these costs I'd end up looking at donating over $1000 a year and I can't really (to the best of my knowledge) claim that on taxes. I feel 40 Million is a worthwhile end point and should (at my current pace) keep me folding with you guys for at least another month and change assuming points maintain the current value.

That being said, if someone with knowledge or experience doing it can show me that I can deduct my power used for folding (since it's always on a kill-a-watt its monitored) I would gladly keep doing it and supporting the Horde. Thanks for a great time guys!

Wings

can you lower the voltage to the CPUs and maintain stable clocks? that would be all i can think of.

40 mil aint too shabby though

we all do what we can, it is a volunteer deal, don't feel bad

we all do what we can, it is a volunteer deal, don't feel bad

This!

If you ever think about it, there may be some who would take your rig on loan to continue folding that can take on the extra bill. Dont know what kind of rig or how much you have into it. Always an option though.

In any case, 40mil is nothing to scoff at, that's a lot of research.

Thanks for your service!

Its a 4p, 6128 setup on a spotswood tower, I never modded the bios because some of the DIMMs have never been recognized and I just never wanted to go through the hassle of pulling off the musky fans to figure out if there was a seating issue so the board has just been plugging away for the last few months. While I suppose I could lower the voltage I'm still only pulling about 500-525 from the wall at any given point in time. When I do the math that equals out to about 12-13KW/day and my car typically takes a charge of 10-12 KWh to top off, so it is really a very close trade off and when I look at the finances I would much rather give 1300 to a charity because I can claim taxes (or whatever the amount is) than 1000 just because my electric bill isn't considered an effective donation. It just seems weird, and I have seen several people who say "my accountant/cpa said it was ok" but I am in the military and don't make enough to bother with anything more than turbo tax when I file. If I were on base it would be a completely different story, they subsidize the electric and I would probably mod the board and get a bigger PSU to handle it, but when I'm paying for it, you just notice when the bill goes up. I would like to keep the system because I'm probably going to be moving and eventually be in an economic situation to be able to say "yes I can do this again" but if it comes down to it I might consider getting rid of it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I honestly never thought it would produce this much. When I first started i7 + gpu folding I just saw there was a much more efficient way to make it happen, and possibly tinker around linux while I was doing it, well after I set this thing up it has been the most stable system in my house with the latest uptime being 50 days fully loaded. It's one of those bitter sweet things but I realize that in order to get a nicer car I would need to sacrifice some things and unfortunately I am going with what is more "efficient" in the end once again.

So, you're essentially saying that if your power bill was ~30% less to run the folding rigs, you'd continue doing so in lieu of donating to charity?

The only way to claim it on taxes is if you run your own business and the server happens to be performing a business function and just so happens to be folding while it does so. Being in the military, I doubt that's your case.

Here's how I see it.

I give money to various charities. Some of them were found to be scams. More than 50% of their revenue was salaries.

When I donate to FAH, I know it is going to a good cause, and the overhead isn't paid by me.

Yes, you can write off power use if FAH Stanford is a non-profit that has filed the correct paperwork. I don't see them on the IRS website, but the IRS site is fairly bad.

So you're looking at the financial case... It sounds like your electric vehicle was a recent purchase. Did this car replace an old conventional gasoline vehicle? If so, did you consider the cost offset from the gas you're now not buying? i.e. your electric bill went up, but your gas bill went down. If folding was affordable before, shouldn't it still be? Seems like a net zero situation, depending on the costs of the two different fuels.

At any rate, I understand where you're coming from. When it comes down to it F@H is a very real monetary donation. Mankind thanks you for your scientific aide, and [H] thanks you for being part of the team!

No matter what your future folding holds after you reach the 40 Mil, hold your head up. Most ppl's idea of donating is a couple boxes of girl scout cookies.

Hint: if you're a single guy and moving, find one of those apartments that charge a flat rate for utilities and fold away! :D

Back