40" 4k TV looks great for games. Have a question before I go larger.

Rocking a 40" 4k screen, and I love it for games, but honestly for text I could see going up a nudge to 43". It's not bad at 40" but 100% scaling is just a FRACTION small...

I have a 55 inch OLED I have been using for over a year as my primary monitor. It is fantastic.

That being said you do need to do a few things to make 55 inch practical as you cant just place it on desk like normal monitor.

1) You have to set the monitor below the level of the desk to lower its height (if you set the monitor on the desk it will be way too high and strain your neck). This is even more important then distance. The 55 inch monitor is simply too high.

2) You have to move the monitor back some. For me the monitor surface is ~1m away from my eyes (I would not consider moving it any closer).

What I have done is bought a low stand and placed it behind the desk. The monitor sits on that. That places the bottom edge of screen surface a few inches below the desk surface (I can see it just fine since it is also behind the desk). The monitor is then also at the right distance to be comfortable (can see the whole monitor without turning the head)

In an ideal world you could buy ~45 inch monitor with the same features and just place it on the desk. But you cant as the high end TVs generally start at 55inch so you have to be a little creative with your setup.

Thanks Ziran. That gives me some hope for keeping the 55" set I just got.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can lower my desk or really move the setup further back, so neck strain may become an issue for me.

But I do really like the look of it, so I may have to find a way to make it work.

43 is perfect for gaming and prod IMO. 40 was a tad small. No way I’d do a 55 near field. My 75 is a tad small for far field. Need an 85. Not enough good 85 options.

So I recently purchased a Samsung Q7F 55" to replace a 40" KU6300. Honestly, I think I made a mistake on the size. It's way too big.
This is what I'm afraid of, I'm looking at a 49" not a 55" but the difference isn't that huge. I've got a 50" living room TV that I'm contemplating taking off of the wall and setting on the desk or on something behind it to see if it's going to work. I wouldn't replace the living room TV with a 49" so if I get it and can't/don't want to use it as a monitor I don't really have a purpose for it.

+1 to Ziran for the mounting info.

When I started using TV for gaming, my first one was 32" coming from a 24" monitor. I thought it was huge. Then I moved to 37" then 42" 1080p and while I noticed the jump in size, over time I thought I could go bigger. Today I'm at 50"4K and I love it. But I'm starting to have this feeling that I could do 55"

I do game on a 100" projector from time to time so its clear I love a big screen.

This is what I'm afraid of, I'm looking at a 49" not a 55" but the difference isn't that huge.
Initially I was considering returning the TV, but after about a week of use I think I'll keep it.

For gaming and movie watching, it's great. I usually sit back just a little bit (easy since I play with a wireless Xbox controller) when playing or viewing media.

When I'm browsing the web, I made the Firefox window a little smaller (not full screen) and this is comfortable enough. So it's manageable even if not ideal.

Also, it would be a huge PITA to return the TV so I would only go that route if it really wasn't working. As is, I like it overall and it wouldn't be worth the hassle to swap with a worse quality smaller TV.

I think a 55" is too big for monitor use but many people say that about my 49" as well. The dot pitch on mine is still reasonable. I think it's too large when you go to 55". I have a 65" and I would definitely say it's right out for monitor use.
Thanks for the support with going with a 49" display. I'm loving the 49" X900F I got, I wish I had done this a while ago.

Does anyone notice less texture detail in PC games on a 55" 4k TV compared to a 40" 4k TV? I know that may sound like I'm trying to start an argument. But I really want to go bigger with a 55" TV but the pixel density is what I'm worried about. Right now I have a sweet 111 ppi on my Samsung 40" 4k and games like Witcher 3, Deus EX MD and X Rebirth look wonderful.

And I've read posts that swear on a stack of bibles that games on 55"- 65" 4k TVs do not lose any IQ at all compared to 32"- 40" because of various factors like making sure you have the appropriate viewing distance from the larger models.

It 's not a matter of money. I probably should just try a Qled and a Oled both at 55" so i can see for myself. I know a good monitor will have a better picture than a TV and I hope that opinion doesn't rankle too many. But I didn't buy the Phillips, Dell or other 4k 40" monitor because of IQ issues I read about. Maybe that's erroneous and someone can convince me to try a 40" 4k monitor to replace the TV. Sorry that's a little off topic but considering I'm very much into how games look especially in textures I felt I had to briefly mention monitors.

------------------------------------------
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0ghz || Titan XP || Win 10 Home || MSI B350M
DDR4 16gb || 2TB HD || Onboard Sound || Thermaltake 600W psu
40” Samsung 4k Lcd/Led TV 3840 x 2160 || CyberPowerPC Case

Just be aware the bigger you go the more neck spinning you’ll be doing.

As it is with my ultra wide 38” I find myself moving Windows to the center of the screen because it’s more comfortable to view them.

I loosely followed what Ziran said and am very pleased, no excessive head turning. You've got to have the space though.

1. You have to set the monitor below the level of the desk to lower its height (if you set the monitor on the desk it will be way too high and strain your neck). This is even more important then distance. The 55 inch monitor is simply too high.

2. You have to move the monitor back some. For me the monitor surface is ~1m away from my eyes (I would not consider moving it any closer).

I'll get some pics posted but I mounted the screen to the wall behind the desk about 1/2" above the desk level. On a bonus note I've got a ton of desk space now!

There's the setup, best I could come up with for the rear speakers.
2018-08-13 13.04.53.jpg

I used a 43" 4k tv for a while as a monitor and even at the back of my desk 30-35" away depending on seating it caused way too much head movement. I have found 32" to be the sweet spot for productivity and 24-27" to be the optimal spot for twitch gaming like pubg.

Just proves, different strokes. 43 is where it’s at for me, gaming and everything, not so much for other folks.

Back