4 x 4K TVs on XFX R9 280 possible?

Kasher_Khan

Limp Gawd
We have a setup that is meant to be used as advertising. This consists for 4 X 4K Visio 55" LCD TVs mounted as a quad. We need to play some video on it that we need to extend to all four displays.

I am trying to run two XFX R9 280 in a desktop. Each has 2 mini display ports (Each card i.e). I am not running cross fire (just need to play pre-rendered content... no games). But I can't get all four monitors to show up in Windows 10 Pro. Using Catalyst 15.7 drivers. I see 3 monitors at most. And only two work at most. Also the screens keep refreshing (sort of like what happens when you plug in an additional display).

I am using mini display port to HDMI (active) adapters, and running HDMI to all four TVs. The literature says the card can do 4 displays at full 4k?

What am I missing here. Any help would be truly apperciated.

Note: if there is another card setup that can drive these four displays at 4k with HDMI cables I'd love to know.

Do you have an hdmi adapter that does dp1.2 to hdmi2.0? Or are you trying to run it at 30hz each?

I am trying to run at 30hz... the resolution doesn't matter though. If I can downsize to 1080p it wouldn't matter for content that I am planning on playing. Again this is video footage that is not shot at very high res.

The reason for getting 4k TVs to being with was because they physically fit the profile. I am just trying to make the TVs work at any resolution.

I have tried two different brands of active adapters (display ports to HDMI). I am not sure what protocol it is using. Any way to know for sure or does anyone have recommendation for an adapter that would work in this situation. I am also starting to think it is the adapter because pf the way the TVs keep refreshing. This happened to me before when I wasn't using active adapters for 1080p TVs.

What I really want to know if it is theoretically possible to drive 4 displays (even if the resolution is reduced) with HDMI (using DP to HDMI adapters) with two R9 280s that are not cross fired together?

here is the graphics cards I am using.

XFX Double D Radeon R9 280 R9-280A-TDFD 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Apparently one needs a mini-display port 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 adapter to drive a 4k display at 60Hz. Something I am told is not readily available in the market at the moment.

On the other hand, I am only trying to run the display at 1080p which should be possible with the active adapters I am currently using. But it doesn't it let me do that... :confused:

Back